Flu and low blood sugar

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve come down with the dreaded flu, I had my flu jab booked in for next month and the damned thing has caught me early. Negative for covid and with how poorly I am, I am once again terrified of the dreaded covid.

My blood sugar levels are on the low side, so I’ve reduced insulin as per my teams request and monitoring more as-well as the usual staying hydrated and checking ketones.

I was expecting high levels but for some reason it’s the complete opposite where my carb ratio has gone right down, also needed to reduce basal. Does anyone else get low levels when unwell or is my body acting completely out of whack? Can I expect a huge insulin jump after I kick the illness?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh no poor you, rotten luck to catch flu this early. Sorry you feel so unwell. Not had low blood sugar when ill, so I can't answer your question, but sending big hugs for a speedy recovery, and more stable blood sugar. That's the thing with diabetes, when you feel so poorly, you can't even forget about blood sugar, but have to put even more effort in with it. It's the last thing you want to do, but you know you have to.

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh no poor you, rotten luck to catch flu this early. Sorry you feel so unwell. Not had low blood sugar when ill, so I can't answer your question, but sending big hugs for a speedy recovery, and more stable blood sugar. That's the thing with diabetes, when you feel so poorly, you can't even forget about blood sugar, but have to put even more effort in with it. It's the last thing you want to do, but you know you have to.

oh I know! It’s because everyone’s mixing again due to the restrictions easing it’s almost like all the winter illnesses are visiting early. All I’ve wanted to do all day is sleep it off but I’ve known I’ve needed to try and force in carbs for my injections and keep an eye out for hypos with my levels trending lower anyway and my eye out for ketones. Would be lovely if there was such a thing as annual leave off diabetes lol.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Annual leave of diabetes would be fantastic! Preferably at a time when we felt well, so we could enjoy not having to think about diabetes all the time. We dream on.

Reactions: EllieM