Fluctuating readings

sonnypatel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Anyone know why the blood sugar readings fluctuate so much.. i went from 6.4 to 9.3 to 6.9 in a matter of 30 mins all in a fasted state from just waking up. Yeah i did 3 tests and my fingers are sore from poking holes in them, but makes me question the accuracy of these monitors

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@sonnypatel - Stress/Worry/Apprehension can all effect blood sugars - it's hormones.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Plus anything you did in that half an hour - up and down stairs, shower, make the bed, have a cuppa, make breakfast. They all contribute to fluctuating levels, not to mention the 9.3 could well have been a rogue reading due to faulty or contaminated strip (always worth re-testing an unexpected level immediately) and general meter foibles.

Browndoff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
At the end of May, a new EU accuracy standard for meters will be applied which will then be +or- 15%. In other words, with the new BETTER accuracy level, you could get a reading of 5 or 7 for an actual BG reading of 6mmol/l! The older meters [which most of us have] would be within their 'rights' to show anything from 4.8 to 7.2 for that true reading of 6mmol/l.
That aside, as Bluetit says, any 'strange' reading should be rechecked [poor fingers!].

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your blood's circulating all the time so glucose levels will be fluctuating too. 6.4 and 6.9 are not all that different, and your 9.3 reading could have been as already suggested, a rogue reading. So don't be too quick to blame your meter for apparent anomalies, as there are many more possible reasons that you could see (sometimes even dramatic) changes in levels. It's always worth thinking about what could have caused such a jump, and washing hands and re-testing to check.

If you're getting sore fingers, you should be able to change the depth settings on your lancing device - there should be an optimal level where you get a decent drop of blood without it hurting (too much). Try lower settings and work your way up.

Robbity

plutoniumcard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with what has been said. The strips generally react to other "chemicals". The best tip is to wash finger to be samples with warm water, and dry well. I have noticed that certain liquid soaps increase the readings. I think you need to bear in mind:

a. the sample size take is tiny (5 uL or less). So a small amount of "contaminant" can significantly raise the reading. Also...if you don't dry your hands, you will get a dilution effect i.e. a false low reading.

b. This type of equipment is improving in their accuracy and reproducibility of the results. Still not as accurate as a lab-based equipment used in hospitals.

c. I have repeated high or "odd" readings and found that a 9.5 reading can when repeated 30 seconds later give a more acceptable 7.2mMol/L.

d. different makes of glucose monitors will vary (as indeed there will be some variation even between those from the same maker. There is also potential for variation between batches of strips. This is normal, and described in the instructions.

If your intuition says question a reading...repeat it!

Tony