Flying And Medicines

pms543

About to fly out at weekend with KLM airways, 1st time as a diabetic on insulin

Website reads we can obv take our meds but think its saying the blood monitor battery needs removing? Wondered if anyone has more experience etc? or tips

Thanks in advance

Bill166

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You shouldn't have an issue. I've flown many times with insulin, I've had T1D for 37 years. Airlines are concerned about powerful Li-ion rechargeable batteries which could potentially start fires, but in hand luggage and in a demonstrable medical device they're fine. The biggest improvement for me was when we shifted from using syringes to pen injectors - I always had to explain why I had syringes in my cabin bag, but pen devices are waved through. You'll be fine.

pms543

Thanks Bill, do I need to put it all, separately in a clear bag or leave in my diabetic bag?

D

Deleted Account

I leave my diabetes stuff in my diabetes bag.
However, I have had my insulin vial pulled out so if you have spare cartridges for an insulin pen, it may be worth putting these in with your liquids.
Bear in mind, the limitation of one clear bag for liquids does not include medicines: you can have a second bag for insulin and any other medication.

Don't forget
- take twice as much diabetes stuff as you think you will need
- do NOT put insulin in the hold
- take a spare battery for your meter
- make sure diabetes is covered by your travel insurance

Have a great trip!

Reactions: pms543

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
I only travel within the EU and place everything in a clear bag with a copy of my prescription.

Have a great time

Tony

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is often recommended that you have a covering letter from your GP to ease your way.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I keep all my diabetes bits in my hand luggage along with a copy of my prescription. Always take twice of what i think I will need. Don't forget to pack pen needles!!! Only been questioned once about my insulin pens and that was in Birmingham airport. Quick explanation and showed my prescription and was waved thru. Enjoy your trip :)

Reactions: pms543 and Dodo