food and stuff

simon hawkins

Just got back from hospital, could someone please give me a clue on a good diet, have been informed i have diabetis 2.
could someone please help with. I.E
Breakfast, lunch, dinner.
Beer, wine ect.
Thank you
Simon.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Have you been given any advice by your health care team?
My choice of control for T2 diabetes is severe restriction of carbohydrates. I avoid, bread, other baked goods, potatoes, pasta, rice and breakfast cereals.
I eat meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese and green vegetables with a bit of fruit. I eat butter and cream, because I don't worry about fats.
Examples
B/fast
2 scrambled eggs( done in the microwave for speed)
2 or3 dried apricots
lunch
cold meat and mixed salad
Natural full fat greeek yogurt with a few blueberries and raspberries.
dinner
Home made beef burger
broccoli
carrots
apple
For reference on nutrients, I use
Collins Little gem Calorie counter. Samll inexpensive and easy to get hold of.
look in the food threads for recipes and ideas.

simon hawkins

Thank you very much,
Need to see my practice nurse this week for a follow up from the hospital, does this mean cut out bread/pots all together.
I'm a regular gym goer and trying to control my weight and loose some along the way.
I also drink alot of water, mainly sugar free volvic with a hint of peach/lime. Is this ok. This is something i have always done, not due to my diabetes.
Fruit is a passion what am i restricred to.
Thank you
Simon.

ma5on

Hi Simon

Fruit-wise I avoid bananas like the plague. I can tolerate things like strawberries, raspberries and blueberries (seeing a theme here? :D ), and the occasional pear or apple but these tend to spike me more after an hour so I try to save them for treats.

This is different for everyone - all I can suggest is you test yourself after each type of thing to see how it affects you.

I go to the gym 4 times a week and the last couple of times I have had hypos while there. First time my sugar was 12.5, second 16.5 when going in (guess I must be working hard enough!), so maybe a banana beforehand would actually be helpful then.....Point is it's a balancing thing and sometimes what works one day doesn't always work the next!

Try keeping a diary of what you eat and how it affects you - this has helped me no end in managing things better. As usual with Diabetes, the more info we can gather up, the more productive we can be.

Good on you for getting in there so early and trying to manage things....just remember that it does take time though so cut yourself some slack if you don't get it first time.....I've had this for 7 years now and am still learning every day!

ma5on