Type 2 Food good / bad for kidney damage

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,
Can anyone give me a clue please as to what foods / drinks Etc. are OK or not Ok
when the kidneys are still functioning but at only 40%........any advice would be
gratefully appreciated......thanksalot.........

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
to that you need a doctor that can give expert advice ...

I am not an Expert

Water I think would be okay to drink in normal amounts ...

you´ll have to ask them how much protein you are allowed to eat at a time / daily as proteins can be hard on kidneys ...when functioning optimally
maybe there is a lot more you have to avoid.. like alcohol ....

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
Can anyone give me a clue please as to what foods / drinks Etc. are OK or not Ok
when the kidneys are still functioning but at only 40%........any advice would be
gratefully appreciated......thanksalot.........

Pensionistamike, I don't have any personal experience to offer you myself, but @CollieBoy had impaired kidney function for a while, if I recall correctly. He won't be able to be specific to your needs, but he can tell you how he coped with things.

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your replies and advice........its amazing but the day after my cry for help
I was notified that my appointment for a contrast scan on the kidneys was now cancelled
deemed to be too big a risk and I will be having an ultrasound scan instead.........hopefully
I will be told the does and donts after that.
At present I drink about 2 litres of water a day and the only time I have any alcohol is on
Quiz Night........highlight of the week......sad but true.....thanks again........

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For kidney stones I was told lots of liquids, lemon water, lower sodium, lower protein and avoid completely high oxalate foods such as dark leafy greens, nuts and seeds etc and to eat high calcium foods like canned salmon. Not sure if this applies to what you have though.

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Kristin 251 for your reply........my problems are a bit different to
yours ,,,,the left has a cyst " inside" and the right is showing symptoms of
cancer cells in urine samples.......but I will follow your advice and stop eating
nuts,,,,,I eat fish 3 times a week but fresh not canned....salmon...cod and
mackerel mainly.....I live in Spain now I am retired and have never seen
canned salmon Red or Pink in the shops over here.....I always preferred
the Pink.....trial and error I think till things get sorted......thanks again.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
One good food for the kidneys that comes to mind is of all things cabbage, Such as Sauerkraut for instance. I sometimes include white cabbage shredded in my salads.

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that John.......something which I will try........I like cabbage but I have to admit
Savoy is my favourite but too dark for kidney sufferers apparently......take care.