food intake & Byetta

guitar player

I have been diabetic for about 15 yrs and on tablets, however a spell in hospital at the end of last year (NOT diabetes related) led me to be put on insulin - much to my dismay. During last year and always being overweight, I managed to loose 2.5 stone, in the year I have now been on insulin I have put more than that back on. After a considerable battle with my GP he has prescribed BYETTA (I have had this once before about 2 years ago so know all the problems). I am on 2x5mg per day with 2x 160mg Gliclazide and 3 Metformin. Since coming off insulin my appitite has all but gone, my question is how important is it to have substantial sized meals whilst on the Byetta and if I skip a meal do I still take the Byetta. Any help would be great.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi

Byetta only works if glucose is present and its weight loss action is produced by a combination of a reduced appetite and/or slower gastric transit. Eating substantial meals is not something that is necessary or, for some, possible. As the byetta works and you go onto the 10 mcg version you may be able to reduce your other meds. This particularly concerns the gliclazide to avoid hypos.

Regards

Doug