Food Labels

Raymondo660

Should we be concerned about total carbs or 'of which sugars' on a food label. Eg. A rice cake label shows 74g of carbs but only 0.8g' of what sugars'. Is that good or bad? I'm struggling to get this explained anywhere and I'm confused. Please help.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is the total carbs you need (unless in the US where you need to subtract the fibre - in the UK is already subtracted) as all carbs turn to glucose once eaten.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All the carbs. ( Unless you are taking exogenous insulin) ignore the of which sugars bit.

They all turn to glucose very quickly in the digestive process and they will all have an effect on blood glucose and insulin response. Sugar is just one particular type of carb.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only exception is if there are polyols (a type of sweetener) and if there’s a lot of them they’re listed as an “of which” line too. These aren’t all the same. Some cause a glucose rise in some people. Some are ok. Maltitol is more likely to be a problem erythritol less so. But it’s personal so check with your meter.

Raymondo660

Thanks for that. It's what I suspected. A health professional told me it is the percentage of 'what sugars' is what to be afraid of, but I became sceptical when seeing some crisps only having 1.2% of what sugars. Thought that couldn't be right. Cheers everyone

Reactions: poemagraphic

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Should we be concerned about total carbs or 'of which sugars' on a food label. Eg. A rice cake label shows 74g of carbs but only 0.8g' of what sugars'. Is that good or bad? I'm struggling to get this explained anywhere and I'm confused. Please help.
Only total carbs. Ignore the of sugars bit.

Reactions: Raymondo660

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only total carbs. Ignore the of sugars bit.

Yeah... But, should the "of which are's" be snapping at the heels of carb content. You know it's going to hit your BG faster..;)
Regardless of where we take our insulin from.

But on the whole.. As mentioned above. :)

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Yeah... But, should the "of which are's" be snapping at the heels of carb content. You know it's going to hit your BG faster..;)
Regardless of where we take our insulin from.

But on the whole.. As mentioned above. :)
I don’t understand

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Refined sugar is absorbed very quickly if a large proportion of a food is added sugar then your blood sugars are going to rise a lot quicker and you will get a spike in short order .

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t understand

Pretty much what my good friend @JohnEGreen replied above?

"Of which are" refined fast acting sugers.. Off the top of my head, as an example. Something like, Carbohydrate 11g on the portion, "of which are sugars." 8.9??
Pretty much "snapping at the heels." ;)

The ingredients could serve to spike one sooner rather than a delayed effect later? But carb content over all is where it's at.. :)

(Edited for dodgy early morning spelling..)

Last edited: