Food shakes

Amandamc2711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I'm type 2 following low carb as best as possible to keep levels stable alongside metformin but would like to start using a shake replacement once a day as I often skip lunch at work or don't fancy actual food in the morning. What does anybody recommend? I'm in England.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't eat anything? Just extend your overnight fast.. seems to have done wonders for my blood sugar control.

Reactions: Freema

Amandamc2711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't eat anything? Just extend your overnight fast.. seems to have done wonders for my blood sugar control.
I could easily do that but take metformin and it upsets my stomach when I take it on empty stomach. I take it three times a day

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bulkbiker when you fast do you still drink tea or coffee with milk ?
Hi yes I have tea with full fat lactofree milk (the lowest carb I can find)
And with coffee I have double cream 3-4 teaspoons. My mugs are about 400ml.
I would probably have 5-7 mugs of tea and 1 or 2 mugs of coffee per day. I also add some salt into the drinks when fasting as I don't get any from food. Also drink water.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I could easily do that but take metformin and it upsets my stomach when I take it on empty stomach. I take it three times a day
Metformin upset me so much I stopped taking it after 3 weeks and became diet controlled only. I couldn't be more than 10 metres from a toilet so was almost housebound with it.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi I'm type 2 following low carb as best as possible to keep levels stable alongside metformin but would like to start using a shake replacement once a day as I often skip lunch at work or don't fancy actual food in the morning. What does anybody recommend? I'm in England.

I did the Newcastle diet using Tesco's shakes.
They seemed to be a good flavour, and a balanced intake of vitamins and nutrients.

Full fat milk and cream very quickly adds up, that could be over 500 calories, maybe even 800 in teas and coffee, which was the daily intake I was on in total using the Newcastle diet.

Amandamc2711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did you use normal milk to mix them or were they pre made up? How did the Newcastle work for you

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the Newcastle diet using Tesco's shakes.
They seemed to be a good flavour, and a balanced intake of vitamins and nutrients.

Full fat milk and cream very quickly adds up, that could be over 500 calories, maybe even 800 in teas and coffee, which was the daily intake I was on in total using the Newcastle diet.

But I don't count calories anyway so it doesn't matter to me... 7 stone lost and still going down...

I have done calorie restricted diets many times in my life.. they have maybe lost a few pounds but never worked in the long term. LCHF/ keto works so well for me I cannot see the point in calorie restriction.

I think you and I will have to agree to differ @douglas99. Your low cal ND may work for you but I know from very bitter experience it would not work for me as a long term way of eating.

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For those saying metformin upsets your stomach ask your nurse or gp to put you on the slow release version. I switched to that and its much better. Only take it once a day with my evening meal.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For those saying metformin upsets your stomach ask your nurse or gp to put you on the slow release version. I switched to that and its much better. Only take it once a day with my evening meal.
For me that led to constipation followed by explosive diarrhoea.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Did you use normal milk to mix them or were they pre made up? How did the Newcastle work for you

Made up as instructed form a powder sachet, usually with skimmed milk.

I lost 4 or 5 stones, from both a classic low calorie diet, followed by the Newcastle diet.
BMI is normal, and diabetes appears to have been reversed.

I still (roughly) count calories, watch what I eat, and use the scales and a mirror every day!
Its stayed off.