Food to snack on ?

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

In ur views what’s best to snack on in between meals that don’t raise ur sugar level.

I’m all new to this. Think fruits ok but heard grapes and bananas aren’t good ?

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

In ur views what’s best to snack on in between meals that don’t raise ur sugar level.

I’m all new to this. Think fruits ok but heard grapes and bananas aren’t good ?
Olives, cheese, cold cuts of meat, nuts, seeds.

Fruit contain sugar so consume with caution. Strawberries and raspberries are best choices

Reactions: Delticmatt100

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be very useful if you would complete your profile settings to show which type of diabetes you have, your treatment, and your medication. Your type of diabetes will then show under your avatar. Doing this will avoid any inappropriate answers to your questions. If you are using the app you will have to log in to the website on your browser to do this.

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It would be very useful if you would complete your profile settings to show which type of diabetes you have, your treatment, and your medication. Your type of diabetes will then show under your avatar. Doing this will avoid any inappropriate answers to your questions. If you are using the app you will have to log in to the website on your browser to do this.

I’m using my iPad tried to but can’t find where to go. Can only seem to put my pic up.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m using my iPad tried to but can’t find where to go. Can only seem to put my pic up.

If you use your browser on your iPad, it's pretty straightforward. When you're logged in, Hover your curser over your User Name, which is in the top right hand side of the screen, then select, "Personal Details. If you scroll down a bit, you'll see type of diabetes, treatment and so on.

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you use your browser on your iPad, it's pretty straightforward. When you're logged in, Hover your curser over your User Name, which is in the top right hand side of the screen, then select, "Personal Details. If you scroll down a bit, you'll see type of diabetes, treatment and so on.

Ok think I’ve sorted now. ?

Reactions: WuTwo and DCUKMod
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Delticmatt100 .
Generally a snack doesn’t really want to be something that will give a significant rise in BS .
A lot of people will say that about 10g of carbs is good for a snack. What you choose is entirely up to you.
A few digestive biscuits, a piece of fruit . We are all different though and different situations may play a great part in snack decision making.
If I’m at work having a steady day and just need something to see me through a few hours then a banana usually suffices. If I’m busy and expect to be busy until my next meal then I’ll go for a piece of malt loaf.
Malt loaf sticks around in the system far longer than a banana and gives me that bit extra for longer to keep ( hopefully) out of hypo territory.
In time you’ll find what works best for you, it’s all trial and error. Don’t expect or strive for the ultimate answer to snacking though. Type 1 diabetes doesn’t play by those rules.:)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been away so haven’t said welcome yet @Delticmatt I have never really been a snacker even before diagnosis. However, I used to enjoy a small apple mid morning. Then I started wearing a Libre and was amazed by how it rose my levels. So now don’t even have that. If desperate will nibble a few almonds.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Yes welcome @Delticmatt. I often find that if I want a snack, really want it, it means my bs is falling so I’ll eat for that. Like @becca59 says, the libre reveals a lot and has helped in judging what can be eaten without dire consequences. If I just fancy a snack then I’ll dose for it if I need to but a few almonds, a bite or two of strong cheese, cottage cheese with lettuce or celery but no biscuit or bread, seem to plug the hunger without the need for a jab.

Reactions: Delticmatt100

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I'm honest, I'm notorious for snacking and eating more than 5-6 small meals a day - which my consultant gave me the stern talk about the overlap of insulin. Since you're in the early days, ask to see a dietitian and as time goes on and when you have more experience, ask about a carb counting course for dose adjustments. So it's the idea of injecting insulin for carbs contained in some foods, for snacks, it's like pay as you go. You could consider some low carb snacks like nuts, chicken, veggie sticks and hummus, cheeses, some berries and plain yogurt etc until you have got to grips with diabetes. So it doesn't give you a significant rise, especially with your whole ordeal at the hospital. I tend to find if you up your protein intake for meals, you'd be less likely to snack. Of course if we go long periods in between meals, it can warrant a snack.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I'm fond of Sainsbury's Veggie Protein Mix. It's a mix of a few nuts, roasted crispy black beans and edamame beans. Very moreish. I tend to eat about 40g in the evenings when watching the gogglebox. (One bag lasts several evenings).

30g is classified as a serving on the packet (meanies!) and gives 6.6g of carb. It also gives 13g of protein. It tastes quite salty but on the packet the salt in a serving isn't much at all.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Snacks. I dont really snack but if I am hungry I will eat anything I fancy. I am on a pump so just dial my bg and carbs into it and it will deliver the insulin to cover.