Food - What can be changed from this

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Fellow T2's

I have been low carb and high fat for almost a year now. In this journey, my weight has gone from 68 to 62 and now back to 68 ( by choice).

My last hbac was 6.1% or 43 mmol.

However I some time wake up with higher BS number. Never have I seen them below 7 unless I fast or had a very early dinner. Also in general my BS seems to get stuck at 6.2 or so and refuse to go down any further.

I have now started tracking my food. Please if you kind and experienced members take a look and see what can be changed from this food log. This is one week worth.

Goal is to have lower fasting BS and increase muscle mass. I am doing strength exercise with a personal trainer and hence i eat more calories now.

Thanks

Attachments

• Food Diary.pdf
    119.5 KB · Views: 234

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your food looks very tasty but too high carb for me. I try and keep under 20g carbs per day.

Higher numbers in the morning are probably due to the dawn phenomenon. Ignore them, they are usually the last to come down.

I wouldn't count calories. I count carbs, only carbs. Personal Trainers don't necessarily understand diabetes and diet. You may want to increase protein or fats.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, can I have your badam halwa recipe? Pretty please?

Re your food diary, it is a tricky call.
Yes, you COULD get your carbs lower.
Some of us do. But the lower we go, the narrower our food choices, and the more boring it can get. So the harder we have to work to overcome those percieved restrictions.
I think your menus look delicious, and am frankly quite envious, especially all those lovely curries.

I see from your profile that you are T2 and diet only, which restricts your choices, and we all have to make the decision on how low we feel we can go and keep it sustainable and bearable.

But it is worth remembering that carbs are not the only thing that affect insulin resistance and chronically raised blood glucose.

I eat a bit lower carb than you, but my bgs are still higher than I would like, due to that insulin resistance.
When that happens, there are a few options, and I am going to list them here, but I don't know your personal circumstances, so have no clue which of them may help you, and which are unsuitable.

Metformin. This can lower HbA1c. Obviously there is a lot of debate about whether it is a good idea or not.
Exercise. This is the biggie. Done properly, this can cut through insulin resistance like a knife. But it needs to be sustainable and regular, otherwise all the good work is undone.
Other medications. Some of them are known to increase insulin resistance.
Other health issues and hormonal dysfunction. These can affect blood glucose and insulin resistance. Hypothyroid is one. Obesity is another. Simply having a lot of fat on our bodies raised insulin resistance. Unfair, eh?

Hope that helps.

For me, I know that exercise, High Intensity Interval Training is the best thing I could possibly do for my insulin resistance.
But my knees, back and lack of enthusiasm all disagree. :(

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, can I have your badam halwa recipe? Pretty please?

Re your food diary, it is a tricky call.
Yes, you COULD get your carbs lower.
Some of us do. But the lower we go, the narrower our food choices, and the more boring it can get. So the harder we have to work to overcome those percieved restrictions.
I think your menus look delicious, and am frankly quite envious, especially all those lovely curries.

I see from your profile that you are T2 and diet only, which restricts your choices, and we all have to make the decision on how low we feel we can go and keep it sustainable and bearable.

But it is worth remembering that carbs are not the only thing that affect insulin resistance and chronically raised blood glucose.

I eat a bit lower carb than you, but my bgs are still higher than I would like, due to that insulin resistance.
When that happens, there are a few options, and I am going to list them here, but I don't know your personal circumstances, so have no clue which of them may help you, and which are unsuitable.

Metformin. This can lower HbA1c. Obviously there is a lot of debate about whether it is a good idea or not.
Exercise. This is the biggie. Done properly, this can cut through insulin resistance like a knife. But it needs to be sustainable and regular, otherwise all the good work is undone.
Other medications. Some of them are known to increase insulin resistance.
Other health issues and hormonal dysfunction. These can affect blood glucose and insulin resistance. Hypothyroid is one. Obesity is another. Simply having a lot of fat on our bodies raised insulin resistance. Unfair, eh?

Hope that helps.

For me, I know that exercise, High Intensity Interval Training is the best thing I could possibly do for my insulin resistance.
But my knees, back and lack of enthusiasm all disagree. :(
I am grateful for your reply. My personal trainer is on keto diet for last 5 years. He is not diabetic but has some other health condition. He is all muscles and I am lucky to have found a trainer who doesn't force carbs to build muscle.

I eat a lot of nuts to increase fat content and that seems to be what pushes the carb count up for me. Don't like cheese that much.

Badam halwa is nothing but just almond flour roasted with ghee until brown and then add equal amount boiling water and sweetener like trivia and cook on medium until it's your desired consistency.

Super easy and 10 mim job.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am grateful for your reply. My personal trainer is on keto diet for last 5 years. He is not diabetic but has some other health condition. He is all muscles and I am lucky to have found a trainer who doesn't force carbs to build muscle.

I eat a lot of nuts to increase fat content and that seems to be what pushes the carb count up for me. Don't like cheese that much.

Badam halwa is nothing but just almond flour roasted with ghee until brown and then add equal amount boiling water and sweetener like trivia and cook on medium until it's your desired consistency.

Super easy and 10 mim job.

Thank you!

Will be trying that recipe very soon. :D

One other thing I should have mentioned is Physiological Insulin Resistance. I'm afraid I don't understand it fully, and there is a great deal of nonsense bandied about on the internet about how it is bad and should be avoided, mainly on the body building keto sites, and the non-diabetic paleo blogs, and so on. My experience is that it is good, and a sign of longterm ketosis. But again, we each have to make up our own minds.

The simplest explanation (and the one I can actually remember) is that PIR occurs when we have been eating ketogenically for so long that our body gets used to it. Think months, not weeks, of consistent very very low carbing. At this point, the body develops PIR and our general background blood glucose rises a little, and stays a little raised.

For me, it seems to raise me consistently by about 0.4 mmol/l across the board, with variations if I actually do all that exercise, or if I eat a few more carbs than usual.

In order to remove PIR all we need to do is eat more carbs for a few days.

You may find it interesting to have a google on the subject.

Reactions: nsh2111