Foot advice

Maggie75

Hi everyone, I just had a question about dry feet (especially heels), and if anyone can recommend a good foot file for T2 diabetic? I've noticed my feet are so much dryer than they used to be and in summer you want them looking as decent as they can. Can diabetics use those exfoliating socks? Everything with feet seems like a minefield, or maybe that's just me...lol. Thanks.

Maggie

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't
I would suggest that you do not use a food file or exfoliating until you find out if there is a particular reason for your dry feet issue.

Going quickly through to all your previous threads, my recommendation is that; visiting diabetes team members of a neurologist to find out if there is any neuropathy on your foot, a dermatologist to see if everything is okay, cardiology to see if blood circulation is not the reason for the dryness, an orthopedist and/or podiatrist to do their checks and of course an endo doctor to view your A1C & BG results and very importantly to attend all the diabetes education classes in your location for yourself to be fully acquainted of how to be managing diabetes for your peace of mind.

As for now and at all times you may use vaseline which you could get from regular shops and use it on your feet all over for the dryness and to keep your feet soft and looking good but, please, please, please, never use and apply it between your toes.

Between your toes should always be dry and not moist at all times as this may cause fungus growth which is no good for persons with diabetes.

I apply vaseline on my foot before I go to bed (& my favourite one's are Baby and Cocoa Butter for fragrance:)) and wear socks and do the same when I wake up in the morning unless I am not using some medicated foot lotions prescribed by an orthopedist and/or dermatologist.

One more thing is that, before I apply anything on my foot after a shower, not only I dry them with a soft towel delicately and properly, I also use a hair dryer to really dry them, particularly between the toes:).

As you say, everything with feet is important with diabetes.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As an alternative - I massage a good quality hand cream into my feet every day, and put socks on afterwards just for a short while to help the cream do its job. I have delicate skin that would become dry and cracked very easily otherwise.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’m a bit “ luckier “ than most as I only have 1 foot lol, I get regular checks with the chiropodist ! And she tell me my foot is in great condition probably the best they’ve seen ,they ask me what moisturiser I use ! Wel I don’t use a moisturiser as such I just put baby oil in my bath every night , I do same to my stump on my amputated leg and ths like a baby’s bum too and let’s face it canny get smoother than a baby’s bum