Foot, ankle & shin Pains

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I am type 2 diagnosed 2003. Have been on Metformin & Glicazide since 2010'ish. Reasonably well controlled but have succeeded in losing about 7kg in last two months.

About 6 weeks ago I suffered from an attack of Gout which affected both feet and still persists (off & on depending upon diet).
I had a Uric Acid blood-test which came back as 'normal' although it was taken about 2 weeks after it all started.

The base of my big toes are still sensitive but most of the pain experienced nowadays are on the top and outside edge of the feet, as well as the arch, ankle and to a lesser extent shin. The pain seems to be worse when the feet are uncomfortably warm or cold; tired; or if I have been eating purines or sugar.

My question is; is this symptomatic of Gout or Neuropathy? and if so does anyone know of any good resources for researching this sort of thing?

Thanks, Dave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 2 people

Kimberley70

Hi, I am type 2 diagnosed 2003. Have been on Metformin & Glicazide since 2010'ish. Reasonably well controlled but have succeeded in losing about 7kg in last two months.

About 6 weeks ago I suffered from an attack of Gout which affected both feet and still persists (off & on depending upon diet).
I had a Uric Acid blood-test which came back as 'normal' although it was taken about 2 weeks after it all started.

The base of my big toes are still sensitive but most of the pain experienced nowadays are on the top and outside edge of the feet, as well as the arch, ankle and to a lesser extent shin. The pain seems to be worse when the feet are uncomfortably warm or cold; tired; or if I have been eating purines or sugar.

My question is; is this symptomatic of Gout or Neuropathy? and if so does anyone know of any good resources for researching this sort of thing?

Thanks, Dave

Hi, I would look up neuropathy as I had pains like that and was given nerve tests. Look up on Internet or ask your GP.

Hope you get sorted