Foot care

Fatflyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have been T2 on Metformin for 18 months. Starting to get sore/red feet especially on the heels. Is it worth mentioning to my GP or are we expected to seek private foot care (which i cannot afford)?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Your feet should be checked every time you have a review with your DN. In the meantime any problems should be reported to your GP.

Reactions: Fatflyer

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I have been T2 on Metformin for 18 months. Starting to get sore/red feet especially on the heels. Is it worth mentioning to my GP or are we expected to seek private foot care (which i cannot afford)?

Have you tried the simple things like a bit of moisturiser? You may just have dry feet.

Also, how good is your blood glucose control?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was advised to rub cream on my feet to keep them moisturised by my DN. I was also told on a DESMOND type course that there was a podiatrist available in the diabetes team at the hospital if needed.

Fatflyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi. Thank you for your reply. I do moisturise my feet and my BG control is fairly good. HbA1c down from 96 to 37. I will now make further enquiries about podiatrist within NHS. Thanks again.

Fatflyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Have you tried the simple things like a bit of moisturiser? You may just have dry feet.

Also, how good is your blood glucose control?
Hi. Thank you for your reply. I do use moisturiser but I do a lot of walking. BG control is reasonably good. Will try more frequent use of moisturiser. Thanks again.

Fatflyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was advised to rub cream on my feet to keep them moisturised by my DN. I was also told on a DESMOND type course that there was a podiatrist available in the diabetes team at the hospital if needed.
Hi. Thank you for your reply. I do moisturise my feet and my BG control is fairly good. HbA1c down from 96 to 37. I will now make further enquiries about podiatrist within NHS. Thanks again.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi Why is it important to moisturise our feet please?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

You sound to be doing really well!:)
Hopefully this is something unrelated to diabetes - you shouldn't really be getting complications with your current BG levels.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Why is it important to moisturise our feet please?

Several reasons.

Diabetes (especially with poor control) can lead to dry skin.
With dry skin you can sometimes get cracked skin which can lead to an infection.
Again if your control is poor then this can take longer to heal.

However if your control is good and your feet are good then it is not vital.
It is just one of those diabetic things; cherish your feet a little more.
It also makes you notice your feet more, and makes sure they are in tip top condition.

Fatflyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Your feet should be checked every time you have a review with your DN. In the meantime any problems should be reported to your GP.
Thank you for your reply, was reviewed in July but problem has just started in last couple of weeks. Will contact surgery and see what is available.

Reactions: Guzzler

Fatflyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
You sound to be doing really well!:)
Hopefully this is something unrelated to diabetes - you shouldn't really be getting complications with your current BG levels.
Thank you ;) That is very reassuring

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@LittleGreyCat has said it better than I could. All I can add is that you are not supposed to get the cream between your toes and Boots do a very good cream called CCS.

Fatflyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
@LittleGreyCat has said it better than I could. All I can add is that you are not supposed to get the cream between your toes and Boots do a very good cream called CCS.
Oh, I didn't know about the between the toes thing! I have been wondering about the moisturiser I use (just cheap hand cream!). I will try the CCS from Boots. Thank you. :)

D

Deleted member 308541

I have five free podiatrist visits each year on a healthcare plan through my GP, this includes the full range of tests plus getting my toes nails cut.

All I can add is that you are not supposed to get the cream between your toes

I did not know that either, you can guess where the cream I use ends up.

I have to be careful what moisturisers I use as some if not all bring me out with dermatitis. I have been using Vaseline lately and it has been ok.