Foot numbness and pain

Mark-optimistic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been type 1 diabetic for nearly 7 years.

My control has been pretty awful for the most part due to mental health problems coupled with not being able to regulate insulin with food ect.

Recently I've noticed my feet are becoming painful and there is a numbness to them. This is really concerning and I'm just so lost and scared.

I can't seem to get my sugars under control despite carb counting.

Anyone relate and have advice?

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Mark-optimistic,
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. When did you last have your feet checked? I think you should make an appointment with your GP and get them to have a look at your feet and see what's going on.
I have real trouble with control too. Have you done DAFNE or Bertie?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi Mark

I would also say you need to talk to your care team about this, the gp may be no good, are you under the care of a consultant? they normally can help a little more and can pass you on to the dietician who can try and help with specific issues

they can also request nerve testing to confirm if there is actually nerve damage in the feet.. if there is, then its unlikely to be repairable... but you can prevent it getting worse with good control. if you are lucky you will find its caused by something else.

Also the care team may be able to give you some education... and run through your insulin doses to ensure it all looks right

Have you had eye screening? if the nerves in you feet are showing damage then the eyes could show damage too, and this is something you really want to prevent.

Reactions: oldgreymare