1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Foot ulcers

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by MauraH, Dec 20, 2015.

1. gbswales

gbswales · Well-Known Member

I have stubborn ulcers on both ankles the first goes back to 2004 when I cut the back of my ankle on a bed frame. The other dates from my heart by pass when they removed a vein from my leg 4 years ago - they do not heal quickly and get occasional relapses through infections. They are dressed by my local surgery nurses supervised by the district wound nurse. They are continually improving using dressings and compression stockings (had compression bandaging for a long time until they improved enough for stockings. I am 72 now and just wish I thought the end was in sight. I have already missed the retirement holidays in the sun that I had imagined I would have been enjoying. It is making me feel very depressed. It would be nice to hear from people whose foot ulcers actually fully healed.

2. Antechinus

Antechinus Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Hi bdswales
    Unfortunately they can be frustratingly slow things to heal. Trust in the nurses and try to keep a positive attitude. Do the usual stuff like vit d, c, CoQ10 supplements. Have you had a vascular check? Both arterial or venous restrictions will slow the healing, as with swelling in the legs.
    Good luck with it. Paul

• Like Like x 1
  3. HayleyBenson

HayleyBenson · Newbie

Its always worth checking your feet yourself with the Diabetic Toes Test- to pick up in advance any warnings of Neuropathy

• Like Like x 1
  4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

@gbswales , in addition to what @Antechinus has said, if you are a smoker, please do try to ditch it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MauraH

MauraH Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi there, I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. It's just awful. Foot ulcers are so debilitating. I posted this thread in 2015 and my ulcer did get better when I got treatment from the wound care clinic. Then I got a second one but it cleared up quickly, thank goodness. These days I am concentrating on my cholesterol as it is high despite a good A1C and good weight, etc. Diabetes is a distressing condition and we have to sacrifice a lot, as you say. I've found that you have to find meaning in life despite it and the conditions it imposes upon us. I wish you all the best!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook