Forgetting to take insulin and test

Sharon Guy

Hello

I have been on insulin for about a year. I am on four injections - 3 after meals and 1 long lasting at bedtime.

I have two children under 10 and tend to be quite busy. I forget to test before meals and I often forget to take my insulin. Result by BMs are usually in the 12-18 range and my Hba1c has crept up to 10.

I need help!

I want to see my kids grow up but at this rate its not going to happen.

Any advice, strategies and tips gratefully received and carefully considered.

Thank you!

Sharon

Denise02

Do u have an alarm on ur blood machine if u do set it for maybe 5 mins b4 ur due 2 take ur insulin if u don't try an alarm on ur phone might help might not that's what I do for my insulin and medication as I also forget sometimes hope this helps :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sharon Guy

I have tried alarms with some partial success. Hba1c was 10.6 when I visited the Dr this morning. I think part of the problem is the depression I am strugglig with at the moment. I have today been put on anti-depressants today so hopefully things will improve and I will be better placed to look after myself apprpriately.

Denise02

That's good I'm currently on anti depressants aswell 40mg citilopram every morning they r helping not so angry or tearful bloods still up and dwn but we can only try :)

Sharon Guy

I have fpr the past three days measured my carbs with a daily limit of 150ish and remembered all of my injections. BM are coming down with several readings in single figures. Very Happy and encouraged.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

If you have reminders on your mobile phone maybe set a few reminders to go off 5 -10 mins before your insulin is due and do a BG test, i know on some mobiles you can set them to go off on a daily basis. I have been type 1 diabetic since i was 13 years old and i have 3 kids now and my diabetes has never stopped me watching my kids grow up, if you can get into a routine each day there should'nt be any problem. And because my kids have grown up knowing that i have diabetes they know now when i am going hypo especially my 11 year old daughter she gets my BG test kit and a bottle of lucuzade or tells my husband and even if i feel o.k as i have lost all my awareness she is always right.

tracey167

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to forget that I have injected the Fast Acting Insulin. To safeguard against double dosing I set the timer on my mobile as soon as I have injected so that I only have to glance at it to see how long since I last injected.

My Grandchildren remind me to take my kit when we go out - not that I need reminding though. They are more interested in the Jelly Beans that I keep in a Vesta Case in my pocket. Thankfully they know the Jelly Beans are for me and not for sharing with them.