Forgot to fast — will test results be terrible?!

danziger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking for some reassurance if possible! I’ve been so stressed and preoccupied that I completely forgot (until a day late) that it’s best to fast before cholesterol tests and had four eggs :banghead: I’ve previously been recommended statins but the last couple of times (when I fasted) I was in the normal range. Have I screwed myself over?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hi danziger
I have no idea if the four eggs will affect your cholesterol results, @bulkbiker is pretty knowledgeable on cholesterol, maybe he will know.
I do know that worrying about the outcome of the test serves absolutely no useful purpose.
The deed is done, no amount of worrying will change the outcome of the test, nor will it make a jot of difference to what medication your Dr may or may not advise.
Even if they do advise statins on the basis of your results, they won't be holding a loaded gun to your head, the final decision is yours.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Best thing to do is wait and see... you can compare results at least and see what kind of difference you get.
Then you'll know if eggs are good or bad for your tests.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking for some reassurance if possible! I’ve been so stressed and preoccupied that I completely forgot (until a day late) that it’s best to fast before cholesterol tests and had four eggs :banghead: I’ve previously been recommended statins but the last couple of times (when I fasted) I was in the normal range. Have I screwed myself over?
I would also suggest waiting to see what your results actually are before wasting emotional energy on it.

If your numbers are good, the njust move along. If they aren't what you had hoped for, it is your choice how you handle the stating discussion. If you are open to taking them, then think about it. If you would rather not, then suggest a retest in a short while, bearing in mind your historic numbers have been better.

• Agree
Reactions: VashtiB

danziger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone, you’re eminently sensible! And you’re right — all I can do is wait and see. I got very caught up in wanting to do it (life/diabetes etc) all “perfectly” so was really beating myself up. Hopefully, worst case scenario they’ll be amenable to my considering statins in future if another (fasting) test suggests a need, as I can’t cope with their potential side effects right now.

forty six

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone, you’re eminently sensible! And you’re right — all I can do is wait and see. I got very caught up in wanting to do it (life/diabetes etc) all “perfectly” so was really beating myself up. Hopefully, worst case scenario they’ll be amenable to my considering statins in future if another (fasting) test suggests a need, as I can’t cope with their potential side effects right now.
Hi there, try reading Dr Malcolm Kendrick's book The Great Cholesterol Con before worrying about results you don't know yet. I agree with bulkbiker, low carb, high protein and fat.

Don't beat yourself up over an error and have a fab Christmas and New Year.

Reactions: Outlier