Forgot to take my lantus last night

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
What's the script here, we t to bed last night without taking my lantus , woke up this morning and took my novorapid as usual , any ideas on what I should do ?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Take half your usual dose this morning.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
when I had an "issue" with my Tresiba I was told to keep an extra close eye on my levels and correct with novorapid if need be, might be best to get in touch with your own team and enquire as advice seems different xx

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Just to note Tresiba lasts longer than Lantus so that may be why.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can speak for levemir and Diakat is correct in saying take half dose now. Keep a close eye on your bg :)

D

Deleted Account

With Lantus, I was told NOT to take half a dose in the morning if I forgot at night because it lasts 24 (or nearly 24) hours so, if I took my usual dose the next night, I would stack and have too much basal insulin whilst I slept and risk night time hypos.
I was told I had the following options
- take no basal until my usual time but do lots of testing and correcting during the day. Given Lantus does not last exactly 24 hours, I could take it a couple of hours early
- move the time of basal to the morning and stick with this going forward
- take my basal at the time I remembered and then for the next week (or so) move the time by 2 hours each day until I reach my normal time.

But it was made very clear to me that taking half would mean I would have half strength for 24 hours not full strength for 12 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lipilintu

lipilintu

With Lantus, I was told NOT to take half a dose in the morning if I forgot at night because it lasts 24 (or nearly 24) hours so, I took my usual dose the next night, I would stack and have too much basal insulin whilst I slept and risk night time hypos.
I was told I had the following options
- take no basal until my usual time but do lots of testing and correcting during the day. Given Lantus does not last exactly 24 hours, I could take it a couple of hours early
- move the time of basal to the morning and stick with this going forward
- take my basal at the time I remembered and then for the next week (or so) move the time by 2 hours until I reach my normal time.

But it was made very clear to me that taking half would mean I would half strength for 24 hours not full strength for 12 hours.
I've gotten the exact same advice, so far these have worked for me

Reactions: Kim Possible

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’ve done this too when using Lantus and took a proportion of the dose to cover the remaining hours. Lantus, for me, never lasted the full 24 hours. It required extra vigilance following the catch up dose but was better than trying to work out the new novo ratio without the bolster of basal.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As I am taking novorapid and lantus but I take it different to what you do as I take the lantus twice a day and if I miss a dose it's not a problem as long as you remember that your sugars might be a little high but it does even out you will be okay and I have done it before missing a dose but as you will have been told by your dsn you only take your insulin when you eat and you take the long acting insulin as normal but that is up to you and I have missed a few times the night insulin dose but I have been okay the next morning

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
So I took a half dose of lantus at 8am then again at 10pm my bloods have been great over the past 24hrs

Reactions: Diakat