Forgotten to take basal

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

Out of routine today and just realised I have completely forgotten to take my Levemir this morning. Should I just take it now? Will this impact on the dose tonight?
I normally take half 7am then the other half 6pm
Thanks in advance

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The advice seems to vary but if you are able to use your bolus to keep your levels from rising too high, I would wait until tonight's dose to avoid overlapping basal during the night.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The advice seems to vary but if you are able to use your bolus to keep your levels from rising too high, I would wait until tonight's dose to avoid overlapping basal during the night.
Thank you, I have been unable to get through to my DN and I have emailed the doctor but don’t know when they will call. As it’s only 4 hrs now until the next dose think I will do as you suggest. Many thanks for replying

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I forget all the time, just keep an eye on it, you could technically divide your dose by twelve and inject that every hour, it’s how they did it when I recently stayed in hospital, no long acting, just a big syringe that injected each hour.

Reactions: Hertfordshiremum

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I forget all the time, just keep an eye on it, you could technically divide your dose by twelve and inject that every hour, it’s how they did it when I recently stayed in hospital, no long acting, just a big syringe that injected each hour.
The thing is they almost certainly wouldn’t have been injecting Basal insulin. They would’ve been injecting Bolus insulin in tiny increments.

Basal insulin lasts longer but the trade off for that is that it doesn’t do much in the short term.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing is they almost certainly wouldn’t have been injecting Basal insulin. They would’ve been injecting Bolus insulin in tiny increments.

Basal insulin lasts longer but the trade off for that is that it doesn’t do much in the short term.
Yes sorry if I mispoke, short acting in tiny doses to compensate for slow acting I meant.

Reactions: EllieM and StewM

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your replies, my DN got in touch and I got through the day with extra Fiasp. Hopefully things will come right tomorrow Many thanks