1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Forgotton basal

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Lynz84, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Lynz84

Lynz84 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi guys. I had am interview this morning and clean forgot to do my basal. Im on split dose levemir. Any idea what i do? Leave it til later and continue as normal??

2. Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Kinda depends how late you are. You might consider doing a reduced basal dose now. In any case, test frequently (hourly?) to correct any highs with short-acting insulin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. scotteric

scotteric Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've done this many times. Even on a split dose, there is a low level of Levemir still in your system for longer than 12 hours for most people (sometimes up to 24 hours) so you shouldn't be in too much danger. I just take Levemir soon as I realize I forgot the morning dose but reduce the dose by a few units depending on when I remember to take it. For example, if my usual dose is 10 units which lasts about 10-12 hours, I might take 6 units if I remember around noon. The duration is dose-dependent, so a smaller dose will not last as long. It takes 2-3 hours to ramp up to full strength though so you should take a small amount of rapid-acting insulin to cover the gap.

4. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I did this the other day. Didn't do anything and left BG. It didn't get that high over an 8hr period....in fact only as high as the 8s, corrected that and then did normal basal at the usual time.
    I'd leave it which you probably have since you're interview was this morning
    Hope you're OK and the interview went well

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. SamJB

SamJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've forgotten a few times. As basal is just slow-dissolving fast acting insulin, just top up with fast acting to keep your BGs steady until your next dose of basal.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook