Forxiga - dapagliflozin

Ruthjo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I would value your opinions. I have recently been changed from Metformin (due to extreme diarrhoea over some months) to Forxiga. Although I have to drink LOTS of water, so far it is suiting me much more. Anyone else on this, and what are your experiences/thoughts? TIA

Louise12216

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I was on Forxiga for almost a year, and I found it very helpful in conjunction with a low carb diet to lose weight. I would have quite happily stayed on it but my insulin regime was changed and suddenly I found myself suffering one of the side effects that meant I could not carry on with it. Not sure why I had taken it for nearly 8 months when the side effects started it started within a week of the change of regime changing. The hospital are not sure what else I can go on at the moment but my follow up is tomorrow so fingers crossed, because I have gained all the weight I lost and then some..

DonsyD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I would value your opinions. I have recently been changed from Metformin (due to extreme diarrhoea over some months) to Forxiga. Although I have to drink LOTS of water, so far it is suiting me much more. Anyone else on this, and what are your experiences/thoughts? TIA
Hi, I was on forxiga and sadly for me I had the most severe reaction. I was put on it due to my age and not because my bloods were off. I knew within hours of taking it, not only thrush but my pee was so toxic it burnt away ALL the skin, got ulcers and a red sore. It would bleed as well. Tried lots of different cooling gels, creams etc from the doctor but just made it worse. Think with infection my bloods then were off, my insulin was doubled as was my metformin, I never knew diabetes could make me feel so unwell. I was off work for 12 weeks glad I’m now back.
My sister had one similar to this and had no issues with it. Guess I was just unlucky.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Ruthjo, I take Forxiga unless I'm on very low carb or fasting periods. At the moment I am allowing too many carbs into my diet (off the rails, regrettably) so I am taking it pretty much all the time. I get on with it very well, I feel generally more well when taking it and it seems to help rather than make my urinary urgency worse. I do drink a lot more water than I used to.

I forgot to add it to my pill caddy on Friday when I filled it up, and by yesterday I was really struggling and thought I had a water infection. I then realised I wasn't drinking as much water and it dawned on me that I'd missed out Forxiga. I took one yesterday evening and I'm back to normal this morning.

I did a little research when I was offered it, and it does seem to be a good drug - my bloods are much better when taking it, and it is supposed to be useful if someone has CKD or heart failure (I don't have either currently but am at risk). My blood pressure has come down a little, but I have lost weight (thanks in some part to forxiga I think) as well so not sure if it is a result of the drug or the weight loss.

My only side effect is craving salt, this may be because the drug causes the kidney to block salt reabsorbtion as well as glucose. I'm not sure that's really a good thing but while I am not able to comply with low carb properly I'm happy to take this drug.

Ideally I would like to follow a low/zero carb and fasting way of eating, and reduce or remove the need for drugs. Wouldn't we all! I am weak though and struggle to fight my carb addiction.

samj25

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I was on Forxiga for almost a year, and I found it very helpful in conjunction with a low carb diet to lose weight. I would have quite happily stayed on it but my insulin regime was changed and suddenly I found myself suffering one of the side effects that meant I could not carry on with it. Not sure why I had taken it for nearly 8 months when the side effects started it started within a week of the change of regime changing. The hospital are not sure what else I can go on at the moment but my follow up is tomorrow so fingers crossed, because I have gained all the weight I lost and then some..
Am currently on Mounjaro so far so good its been awesome and I do get it from an online website

Reactions: Ruthjo

LittleGreyCat

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I have been on Forxiga for a few months now.
See Ongoing reports on my experience

As with @jpscloud I am not seeing perhaps the benefits I should because of all the warnings from the surgery about it not being compatible with a low carb/keto diet.
This pushed me firmly off the wagon and I am finding it hard to be motivated to climb back on.
No obvious adverse effects.
Pee stick testing shows sugar and ketones in my wee.
This may mean that I am in carb flu territory - not enough carbs for energy needs but not fully converted to fat burning.

A brief time on very low carb pushed my BG right down according to my Libre 2 but when it was shown in the 3s I finger pricked and that showed I was up in the 6s.

I should say that I am taking it as well as Metformin and Vipidia/alogliptin so the various medications are probably fighting each other.

• Hug
Reactions: Ruthjo and jpscloud

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

As with @jpscloud I am not seeing perhaps the benefits I should because of all the warnings from the surgery about it not being compatible with a low carb/keto diet.
This pushed me firmly off the wagon and I am finding it hard to be motivated to climb back on.
This may mean that I am in carb flu territory - not enough carbs for energy needs but not fully converted to fat burning.

A brief time on very low carb pushed my BG right down according to my Libre 2 but when it was shown in the 3s I finger pricked and that showed I was up in the 6s.

I should say that I am taking it as well as Metformin and Vipidia/alogliptin so the various medications are probably fighting each other.
I'm also on metformin and have a prescription for ozempic - I stopped it while doing carnivore, along with forxiga, but when I started being off the rails more than on, I restarted my meds. I will start taking ozempic again because my appetite has gone up alarmingly with carb consumption - if I can get back on intermittent fasting and carnivore or close to zero carbs again, I will stop forxiga. I really need to be more consistent!

• Hug
Reactions: HSSS and Ruthjo

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take forxiga and Metformin. I did get trush in the first week but that was my fault thinking I could eat high carbs and the tablet would sort it out but after going low carb it’s really helped and I don’t have any side effects. My BG has come down from being in the high teens to 5s and 6s

Reactions: jpscloud and Ruthjo

Louise12216

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Am currently on Mounjaro so far so good its been awesome and I do get it from an online website
Hi, funnily enough, had a call back today from my DSN after my consult earlier this week and they have recommended I go on this, so just waiting now for the letter to go to my GP to prescribe it. bit nervous of any side effects but very hopeful about the reduction in insulin resistance and any weight loss that also happen

Reactions: jpscloud and Ruthjo

Ruthjo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Ruthjo, I take Forxiga unless I'm on very low carb or fasting periods. At the moment I am allowing too many carbs into my diet (off the rails, regrettably) so I am taking it pretty much all the time. I get on with it very well, I feel generally more well when taking it and it seems to help rather than make my urinary urgency worse. I do drink a lot more water than I used to.

I forgot to add it to my pill caddy on Friday when I filled it up, and by yesterday I was really struggling and thought I had a water infection. I then realised I wasn't drinking as much water and it dawned on me that I'd missed out Forxiga. I took one yesterday evening and I'm back to normal this morning.

I did a little research when I was offered it, and it does seem to be a good drug - my bloods are much better when taking it, and it is supposed to be useful if someone has CKD or heart failure (I don't have either currently but am at risk). My blood pressure has come down a little, but I have lost weight (thanks in some part to forxiga I think) as well so not sure if it is a result of the drug or the weight loss.

My only side effect is craving salt, this may be because the drug causes the kidney to block salt reabsorbtion as well as glucose. I'm not sure that's really a good thing but while I am not able to comply with low carb properly I'm happy to take this drug.

Ideally I would like to follow a low/zero carb and fasting way of eating, and reduce or remove the need for drugs. Wouldn't we all! I am weak though and struggle to fight my carb addiction.
Thanks for this. I have been following a low carb, not NO carb diet, and so far, so good! All replies seem fairly positive, and I feel 100% better than I did. I will keep an eye open for side effects - but nothing can be as bad as the side effects of Metformin for me! x

• Friendly
Reactions: jpscloud

Ruthjo

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I hope it settles for you, and that you find the best treatment for you x

Reactions: jpscloud

jay17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried slow release (SL) METFORMIN? I too was prescribed non SL to start with and spent a lot of time in the loo. With now on SL I'm ok.