Found a nice DN.

Dilly40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 in January with a Hba1c of 95 the DN wanted to start me on medication straight away I said no, I wanted to try and controll it with diet she was not happy or helpful. I am 43, 5f2 and I was 11 stone 8.
I went to see another DN last week for my April Hba1c results. She checked my feet and weight I had lost a stone. She told me that I was not a typical type 2 and that my diabetes was more likely to be hereditary. She then looked at my Hba1c results and looked amazed it was down to 50 in three months. She told me in all her years as a DN she had never seen results like it and well done. When she asked me how I had done it I smiled and said with the help of my friends from the diabetic forum. She was so nice and helpful and supportive made me feel I was doing the right thing eating low carbs. She said I need 130g of carbs a day for my brain to function and she wants me to have another Hba1c in three months just to see if I can get it down to 48 so she can keep me off medication. I know that at some point in my life I will need medication and even insulin but I am hoping that might not be for a long long time.
My problem is I feel hungry all the time and when I eat more than 3 meals a day I feel so guilty, any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: 6 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on the HBA1C result. Why do you think you will have to go onto Medication and insulin if you are type 2, (if it proves to be type 1.5 then it will probably be needed) a lot of people here can control it with diet alone, or at the very least delay going onto medication until you are well over 100 and have died of something else instead.

If you keep feeling hungry try and add more fat to your diet, full cream in coffee or hot chocolate, butter instead of full fat marge, full fat cheese. It might sound slightly odd if you are still trying to lose weight but fats will normally fill you up more than carbs and help stop the extra meals or snacking.

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
as long as your eating low carb I wouldnt worry too much about eating extra!

Agree with above^^

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Dilly, give us an idea of what you are eating. And did you know that the only nutrient we don't actually need is carbohydrate. Particularly the kind of carb that is available in the 2st century, did you know that wheat doesn't need legislation to change its dna, its very different wheat to the one we used to eat.

Dilly40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your replies. DN said I don't need to lose any more weight if I could if I wanted to but only 1/2 stone more. I have increased my fat & protein intake. I have bacon eggs etc a couple of times a week. Only have full fat stuff now and Soya and linseed bread . For snacks I have nuts seeds We have oily fish once a week I don't eat root veg, white bread, white pasta or white rice, cakes (i didn't even have a birthday cake), biscuits or sweets. If I need a chocolate fix I have a small bar of 85%. I have reduced my portion size as well, maybe I have done to much to quickly (I used to eat a lot of junk and drink a lot of sugary drinks).
I did treat my self to a pizza last Saturday, but then i felt guilty about it.
I think my DN was just covering herself about telling me I might need medication/ insulin later on in life.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your progress and I'm sure most of us are envious that you've found a nice DN. No more than we all deserve actually, but sadly a rarity. From your previous posts I can't make out whether you went ahead and bought a Codefree meter. How are you getting on with that?
You may find from your meter readings that wholemeal bread, pasta & rice must get the old heave-ho too.

I know that at some point in my life I will need medication and even insulin
Please throw that idea in the bin. It is NOT a foregone conclusion, although the NHS wants us to think it is.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Great job! Health care professionals are trained that adult humans need to consume 130 g of carbs a day for brain function. This is obviously not true as anyone who has fasted for a day or three knows. It is a distortion of a the results of some study in the 1960s that estimated an adult human uses approximately 130 g of glucose per day to fuel their brain. That same study also says that if a human doesn't consume enough carbs to create the 130 g of glucose a day, the brain runs perfectly fine, but uses ketones (which come from fa) for fuel instead of glucose and the glucose we do need comes from our liver, ingested protein, and/or from our own muscle. I've been eating less than about 40 g of carbs a day for almost a year and brain function is excellent.

As for the official medical opinion that type 2 is pretty much always progressive, there was a recent (2014) paper (http://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/2014/10/is-remission-in-type-2-diabetes-really-possible/) that looked at the records of 120,000 type 2 diabetics and found very low rates of diabetes reversal. However, I think this is a reflection of the standard advice given to type 2 diabetics: eat to the high carb/low fat "healthy" eating guidelines and don't self test.

As for pizza, occasionally I will be in a situation where I'm part of a group of people and pizza is ordered for lunch or dinner. My trick is to just eat the toppings and skip the bread part.

Reactions: 4 people

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on your results, and bonus finding a good nurse.

Might be worth trying a glass of water first if you feel hungry as we sometimes confuse thirst for hunger. Otherwise maybe add an extra snack if you don't need to lose wait and therefore have capacity for extra calories. Keep doing what you have been, it's clearly working for you.

C

CheeseJunkie

Congratulations! What a brilliant result!

For snacks, I tend to go for fatty stuff: nuts such as walnuts or Brazil nuts; also cheese; and (at home) Greek yoghurt with things thrown in such as seeds.

If I'm out and about all day, I carry a bag of nuts, and a little clingfilm wrap of Cheddar slices, in my bag. No excuse ever to go into Pret for a sandwich or muffin again.