• Total voters

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Brit90 said:
Having a quick look at the titles of the various stages, although I have been Type 1 now for more than 10 years, I am stuck at a mixture of
Denial, Anger and Depression...

I am definitely having a Diabetic Burnout a long with everything that goes with it. Been on this road to hell many years, but I digress. The original post was about posting what you say could offend people.

Solve the problem and have a 2 tier system. New members can see Tier 1, more experienced see Tier 2, assuming that more experienced people aren't shocked in what they read.

Hb1ac - unknown
Blood Sugar level - unknown

Brilliant and very simple solution to the discussion of complications issue. :thumbup:

With regard to your circle of denial/anger/depression - in my past experience as a counsellor, and in my own personal experience too, the real issue we're all dealing with when we're in denial is fear of the unknown and fear and confusion about the changes that will be needed when we face the unknown'.

Doesn't matter what the situation is, health issues, bereavement, crime, divorce, financial loss, - the emotion we least think about or talk about is fear and fear is what triggers denial in order to delay the day when we have to face unpleasant and distressing facts. That all happens automatically, you're not doing it on purpose.

Some people feel that information is the antidote for fear and they're right. But just as food is the antidote for hunger, we need the right food for us, not just any old food or foods we find distasteful or indigestible. We wouldn't want to or be able to shovel down a huge plateful at one sitting and the more people prod and poke us to
eat/receive information
the more we run back to denial.

Denial, anger, depression isn't actually the enemy, it's a process and you'll go round that circle as many times as you need to before you decide it's time to move to the next stage, which might be for example -
OK, I know I've got T1 and even though I've had it for a while, I'm not sure how to handle it, so what do I do next?
Once you ask that question, the answer will come to you one way or another.

You're in control of your diet of food and with your diet of information. Both menus contain lots of items, some of which you'll like, some you won't like. It's up to you to make the choices and to be gentle with yourself in the process.

Today you might be ready to just look at the menu, tomorrow you may be ready to select an item or two.

We shouldn't hurry through that process and try to force ourselves to
face facts
before we're ready for them because that can feel like being totally out of control and like we're being forcefed with too much information much the same as if someone was piling up our plate with more food than we can eat or digest at this particular time. In these days of access to information being at our fingertips, much like the fast food that's so readily available, we can become easily overloaded and overwhelmed by information and end up doing nothing.

You've done well in acknowledging that you're in that denial/anger/depression circle because many people don't realise where they're at, so you deserve a round of :clap: for that and for posting your opinion. You may have accepted diabetes but you may not have accepted the fact that you may have to make changes in your life because of it.

When someone is in denial it can be very, very hard for family and friends to stand back and wait for the person to turn towards acceptance and change so they deserve a round of :clap: too.

What I did when I was diagnosed with T2 was prioritise. I asked myself what did I need to know right NOW, and that was definitely "What can I eat and what can I not eat and how much or how little can I eat?" That was as much information as I could concentrate on at that time so I simply scanned the rest, I didn't ignore it but I didn't spend time deeply researching stuff I didn't need to know right now. I concentrated on what I needed to do to get me through today.

And that suits me and works for me. I wish you well :thumbup: