Freaking out :(

Amina9191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys, could really use some advice.
I had my eye screening test results back this morning and the letter said that it showed some background retinopathy but nothing serious. I'm due for my next one in 1 years time.
What does background retinopathy mean?
Also I'm a type 1 if that helps.
Thanks

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

Whoever words the standard letter needs to know the impact it has on the recipient and many people feel like you when they get this letter.

The fact that they do not want to see you for a year means that you are not in imminent danger. Keep an eye on your blood sugar levels, post here if you have any questions and hopefully things will improve for you.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had this in one of my eyes from my 2013 test.

By the time I had my 2014 test it said there was no retinopathy.

So much as said above, keep an eye on your BG and seek advice if you see differences or issues.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I had bg retinopathy in 2013. At my screening in 2014 it had gone. When I had my eyes tested at boots a few weeks back, it was back, but I know my control over the 2 months prior wasn't as great as it should have been, so it came as no surprise.

If you can avoid sharp highs and lows and quick changes, you will manage it better.

Amina9191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had bg retinopathy in 2013. At my screening in 2014 it had gone. When I had my eyes tested at boots a few weeks back, it was back, but I know my control over the 2 months prior wasn't as great as it should have been, so it came as no surprise.

If you can avoid sharp highs and lows and quick changes, you will manage it better.
Does hypos also have an affect on your eyes??

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As CC says, the fact that they don't want to see you means that they think nothing needs doing.

As the others say, if you can get your BG under control, it'll go away.

So no panic - tho of course I would panic too with that letter !!! - and get eating to your meter! Best of luck.