free cinema tickets for diabetics!

jane Davies

hi wasnt sure where to post this but the other day i happened to be reading a notice board that informed me of something called the cinema exhibitors association card, it entitles the carer / parent/ friend going with the diabetic person to a free cinema ticket when they accompany them. It costs £5.50 for 3 years!Anyone interested and i will post more details? Jane

jane Davies

ok! it is the cinema exhibitors associon card and to qualify you must be; in receipt of disability living allowance(hopefully you all know diabetics may be entitled to that as well!) be in receipt of attendance allowance or be registered blind. I did not even get told we were entitled to disability living allowance as the mum of a diabetic, until i found out myself. please ask if you need more info on that! anyway the website is http://www.ceacard.co.uk tel no.0845 123 1292 o845 123 1295
or write to CEACARD, POBox 199 DEESIDE, CH5 9BW good luck! Jane

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Jane and others who may be surprised to find they have an automatic entitlement to DLA. Unfortunately this is just not true.

I have just looked at the government website that lists the criteria for claiming DLA and it is as follows (this is copied exactly from the official source and not changed in any way):

Disability Living Allowance - eligibility
You may be able to get Disability Living Allowance if you are aged under 65 and you have needed help with personal care or had walking difficulties because of a physical or mental disability for three months, and you are likely to need this help or have these difficulties for at least another six months.
If you are already getting Disability Living Allowance when you reach 65, it may continue if you still have care and/or mobility needs.

If you have care needs
To get the care component of Disability Living Allowance, your disability must be severe enough for you to either:

need help with things such as washing, dressing, eating, getting to and using the toilet, or communicating your needs
need supervision to avoid you putting yourself or others in substantial danger
need someone with you when you are on dialysis
be unable to prepare a cooked main meal for yourself (if you had the ingredients), if you are aged 16 or over
There are three rates of care component depending on how your disability affects you:

the lowest rate, if you need help or supervision for some of the day or you are unable to prepare a cooked main meal
the middle rate, if you need help or supervision frequently throughout the day, or during the night, or someone with you while on dialysis
the highest rate, if you need help or supervision frequently throughout the day and during the night
You can get Disability Living Allowance for your care needs even if no one is actually giving you the care you need, even if you live alone.

If you have mobility needs
To get the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, your disability must be severe enough for you to have any the following walking difficulties, even when wearing or using an aid or equipment you normally use:

you are unable or virtually unable to walk, or you have no feet or legs
you are assessed to be both 100% disabled because of loss of eyesight and not less than 80% disabled because of deafness and you need someone with you when you are out of doors
you are severely mentally impaired with severe behavioural problems and qualify for the highest rate of care component
the effort of walking could threaten your life or seriously affect your health
you need guidance and/or supervision from another person when walking out of doors in unfamiliar places
There are two rates of the mobility component depending on how your disability affects you:

the lower rate, if you need guidance or supervision out of doors
the higher rate, if you have any of the other, more severe, walking difficulties
Some people will be entitled to only the care component or the mobility component, others will be entitled to both.

If you're claiming for an ill or disabled child
Your child must need a lot more help or supervision than other children of the same age.

You can claim for care needs before a child is aged three months, but benefit will not be paid before the child reaches the age of three months unless they are paid under 'special rules' (see below).

You can claim for mobility needs from:

age three, if your child is unable, or virtually unable, to walk
age three, if your child is assessed to be both 100% disabled because of loss of eyesight and not less than 80% disabled because of deafness
age three, if your child is severely mentally impaired with severe behavioural problems and qualifies for the highest rate of care component
age five, if your child needs guidance or supervision when walking out of doors

I think the above makes it absolutely clear that the majority of diabetics do not qualify for DLA simply because diabetes, although classed as a disability, is not one that generally requires assistance to lead a normal life or one that results in mobility problems other than in those unfortunate enough to suffer retinopathy and/or neuropathy.

jane Davies

i have to say, have just spoken to my diabetic nurse and she supports claiming to cover hospital car parking fees, special food etc. In fact she now recommends people to inquire whether they are entitled to it. Perhaps it is just for parents with a child under 18, i dont know, but i didnt make any of the claims you printed and i am entitled to it. Perhaps people should check with their diabetes teams? Jane

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
thanks for the cinema link..
i have dla but none of it is cos of my diabetes,unfortunately just being diabetic doesnt mean we get it :D

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
jane Davies said:
Perhaps people should check with their diabetes teams? Jane
Jane,
With respect I suggest that people should check with the Dept of Work and Pensions, who are responsible for paying DLA. These are the only people who can tell you whether you qualify, not your diabetes team.

I have copied out for you the rules that are published by the DWP for eligibility. If you choose not to believe the DWP's own information then I can help you no further.

jane Davies

i was obviously not suggesting that you check with your diabetes team rather than the Dept of work and pensions to see if you qualify. I was only trying to suggest something that may be of Help to people(the cinema card) for pity's sake. Dont think i'll bother with this forum in future.
No doubt you will come back with something about how you must be responsible and put the right info out there but unless you work for the Dept of work and pensions I dont think you are in the position to say who might qualify and who wont. And who's to say there aren't many members of your forum who might have additional disabilities and dont know about the cinema card. I was only trying to HELP, Jane