free prescriptions

JemmaDawn

Re: free perscriptions

Hi! (Newbie registered member here, but been reading site & posting through FB a while.) There are several other illnesses/diseases that entitle you to free prescriptions for LIFE, they just don't inform you of it, my neighbour informed me (we both have diagnosed thyroid issues & are exempt from ALL 'scripts, renewal every 5yrs), there's some very old laws in place that entitles them, so worth checking out.

Failing that if you're on benefits that AREN'T mean tested & are classed as 'low income' you can fill in an HC1 form, I THINK your income/benefits has to be below amount govt says you need to live on; around £120 p/wk I believe. If successful you'll receive an HC2 certificate (renewal annually) which covers exemption from ALL 'scripts, dental, eye care & travel. I was on incapacity due to life-long disease/illness but that benefit wasn't classed as 'means tested' (which has been phased out & replaced with ESA), I believe only the 'income-based' ESA is means tested, (I may be wrong though!), so therefore covered for all prescriptions, dental, eye care, travel etc.

Good luck & I hope that helps, too! :)

glenmoray

I always thought all diabetics were medically excempt from perscription charges although after reading your comments I now have my doubts. I think you should talk to your doctor and say to him that testing now will reduce the cost of medication in the future due to uncontrolled diabetes. As for medicines you are excempt and should apply online for your medical excemption card.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.

No need to have any doubts, glenmoray. All diabetics who are controlling their diabetes with medication are entitled to a medical exemption card for free prescriptions for all medication (for all conditions and not just diabetes) and should complete the appropriate form which is counter-signed by a doctor and sent to Newcastle for processing. On receipt of the card, the appropriate box on the back of each prescription is crossed and the prescriptions are free.

Hope this helps

Doug

Mike2817

To apply for a Medical exemption certificate ask your doctor for an FP92A form. Your GP, hospital or service doctor will sign the form to confirm that your statement is correct. It is a plastic credit sized card. Once you have it ALL your presriptions are free not just the diabetes ones.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcost ... costs.aspx

You just need to be diagnosed with diabetes, it does not matter which treatment you are on.

NICE guidelines do not ban the presription of supplies, and DVLA insest on Self Testing before & during driving, which should be agreed with your practice diabetes doctor or nurse

http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG ... ection.pdf

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Mike2817 said:
You just need to be diagnosed with diabetes, it does not matter which treatment you are on.

Sorry but have to disagree with you on this, in England as stated in previous posts you can get a perscription exemption certificate only if you are treated for diabetes, via any form of diabetic medication for example metformin.

If you treat your diabetes by diet alone, you are not entitled to a free medical exemption certificate.

In this case what would suit most diabetics who control it by diet alone is to get a annual pre payment certifficate. Not sure what the current cost is, but as shown in an earlier post if you have more than 2 persciptions a month it would be worth getting one.