1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Free style libre

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Diane_56, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Diane_56

Diane_56 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Is this only for type 1 please

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Got mine on prescription because I am on steroids. However I am told this is highly unusual. Asda is the cheapest if you self fund.

3. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello there are type 2s on insulin who are able to get it on prescription

4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Anyone can use it but only some people get it funded.

5. Justmenow

Justmenow · Newbie

I am type 2 and I got a script for the Libre 2. You can also go on their website and get a free reader and a month supply (2) of the sensors. I will say, the libre 2 didn't work well for me It was giving me readings much lower than they truly were.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joepubli

Joepubli Type 2 · Member

I am a T2 and have been experimenting with this device for the last few weeks. It is amazingly good at showing me what impact various foods have on me - I am able to experiment and adapt. For example - a huge plate of mushrooms and tomatos does practically nothing - a piece of toast, even buttered, quivckly shows a vertical increase. It also proved that for me walking for 20 mins after meal brought it down quickly.

The readings are NOT the same as those from test meter -they say its about 15-20 mins behind that. But for me its the trends that are useful. If I forget to take medicine - it comes down much more slowly.

With independent apps - you can also monitor you % of Time in range and indicative Hb1AC.

Once I have finished experimenting with types of food and portion sizes that suit me, I can probably stop using it. It is kinda expensive on an ongoing basis. I wish NHS would consider giving to T2 when diagnosed - for say 3 months - so that people can see the impact and control. There is all kind of information on the net, some of it nonsense. For me - no differnce between potato and sweet potato. Or much revered resistant starch.
    Hope this helps.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. sgm14

sgm14 · Well-Known Member

Yes. As far as I know it is supposed to depend on whether your endo thinks that you will benefit from it.

8. searley

searley Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My ex is T2 and she has it funded although it is rare her consultant had to put a case forward to the cqc (i think) to get approval to prescribe

9. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Type 1 · Active Member

You’re so lucky you get Libre 2 on prescription. Do you use the high and low alarms? How long have you had Libre 2?

So so jealous right now. I don’t even have the Miao Miao.

10. chrisbug

chrisbug · Active Member

Hi,
    I'm type 1 and fortunate that I get libre on prescription. I have miao miao and use xdrip.
    I updated software on my phone yesterday and alarms suddenly appeared on libre app.
    I have only turned on the 'signal lost' alarm on libre, as I prefer the readings from xdrip (this is probably because you can calibrate the xdrip?).

11. Justmenow

Justmenow · Newbie

I complete
    I completely agree with you. My readings were WAY off, but I was able to figure out which foods makes my sugars high and low also what happens when I walk after eating. The annoying part for me was that I would think I was doing so good, and really was not. I was getting readings 100 points different from my regular meter.

The FreeStyle vender actually gave me a second one to try for free (I MAY have complained a wee bit...). This meter registers about 20 points lower than my regular meter which is a great improvement.

#11 Justmenow, Jan 17, 2021 at 11:06 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2021
  12. chrisbug

chrisbug · Active Member

My mistake, all the alarms suddenly appeared on the libre app, but I am using libre #1. A bit misleading, when you can set alarms which obviously won't work!
    Still completely happy with xdrip.

13. Hayley78

Hayley78 Type 1 · Member

What is Miao Miao (I thought was an illegal drug) and a xdrip? and how do you get alarms on a Libre?

14. Hayley78

Hayley78 Type 1 · Member

What is a Libre 2?

15. LucySW

LucySW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Can you just turn up & buy one? Or can you order them? I self-fund as well.

16. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, I just went into asda and bought one. I had to fill in a form.

• Like Like x 1
  17. LucySW

LucySW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ooooohhh!!! Thank you!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook