1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Freestlye Libre

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by novorapidboi26, Aug 12, 2015.

1. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have been looking online and carried out a search on here but cant find a clear answer to the my question, which is;

does the Libre record blood glucose readings automatically overnight, so no manual scanning....?

if not, how do people get a continuous set of readings throughout the night?

thanks.........

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

It's not a CGM, you have to scan the sensor in order to get a reading.

3. novorapidboi26

right...........

so in order to get a picture overnight it would need to be scanned manually.....?

if the reader is somehow secured next to the sensor overnight, would the scans take place automatically....?

im trying to justify getting one for basal testing......

4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

It does need to be scanned manually, not too sure about it working if you have the scanner secured next to the sensor so hopefully others will advise there.

I was offered one back in March but declined after reading about all the problems people were having with the accuracy and the sensors becoming detached, but will certainly will be interested again once they get these teething problems sorted for the reasons that you state............basal testing.

5. June_C

June_C Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

I have the Libre CGM and the sensor records readings every 15 minutes 24/7. In the morning I attach the reader to the pc and see all my overnight readings whilst asleep.

6. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

As June says, the monitoring is continuous, with data saved and a tiny graph mapped on the read on an ongoing basis. The reader will allow one to scroll back through all the scans one has done, but to get the full, 15 minute intervals data, one has to download it, using the Abbott supplied software.

The Abbott software provides various basic graphs and summaries, but the underlying data is manipulable, using Excel or such like. The overnight stuff is particularly enlightening.

7. BeccyB

BeccyB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The sensor automatically records up to 8 hours of glucose levels, so as long as you do a manual scan at least every 8 hours you will have a 24/7 record. I normally end up with gaps when I have a lie-in, but try to remember to scan if I wake up in the night for the loo :)

Personally, I haven't had problems with skin irritation or sensors coming loose (apart from when I was rushing to go out and my skin was still a bit damp from the shower, and once on a really humid day where again my skin wasn't properly dry)

8. June_C

To add to what @AndBreathe has said, when you download the data to the pc you can see your actual bg numbers in mmols. Very useful...

9. novorapidboi26

so it does scan on its own at regular intervals.......

what about the distance between the reader and sensor......?

10. June_C

The distance between the two makes no difference. It's the sensor that's doing all the work. I don't know exactly how it works, but I'm guessing everytime you scan, the reader picks up all the sensor readings between scans and stores them which you can then view in detail when you attach the reader to the pc.

11. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

The sensor records readings at regular intervals and can store eight hours of data. The scanner then captures what has been stored when you bring it close and gives you an interpreted current reading.

12. novorapidboi26

thanks you, its clear now...........and it means that i can get a good set of readings overnight.......and during the day too.........

not to see if they are in stock.....

13. June_C

You will find you have to go on a waiting list. I had to wait 4 months, but hopefully Abbott have been able to shorten that now.

14. novorapidboi26

15. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm into my 5th month and still waiting.

16. June_C

Sorry to hear that, but it'll be worth the wait. Btw, once you have one and are registered with Abbott, you are then allowed to order 2 sensors every two weeks, although you only need 2 sensors per month. It appears that the readers are in short supply, not the sensors.

#16 June_C, Aug 13, 2015 at 6:51 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  17. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just reading this thread, I registered 4 months ago, so am eagerly awaiting an email.......now it could be 5 months! I'm off to find a very tall building to jump off - lol, can't stand the waiting!

The factory where this machine is made is not that many miles away from me, might just make a visit (late night with stocking over my head if I have to!)

18. jgordon5

jgordon5 · Well-Known Member

Started asking questions and then read the second page where they're all answered!
    I've been waiting for nearly 4 months. ...

Do all of you who are using the Libre find that the BS readings are accurate compared with the meter you were using previously?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook