Freestyle Libra 3

Primear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have just arrived on this Forum. I have been advised by GP the I am Pre-Diabetic. I have in the last 4 days introduced for myself Freestyle Libra 3 which I had presumed I would have in place for 14 days. How often after the 14 days should I be using Libra 3. Grateful for your response.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Libre 3 lasts for 14 days.
During this time, you will be getting your BG readings on your phone.
Once the 14 days are up, the sensor will stop working and will need to be replaced if you want to continue to receive the data.

Some people constantly wear a sensor whereas others find that it is too expensive to fund all the time so will use the 14 days of one sensor to learn what is affecting their BG and use this knowledge going forward supplemented by cheaper finger prick meter.
They may use another sensor after a few weeks to learn more about their body's reactions to food and check that they are still seeing improvements.

When I was self funding, I would use a sensor for 2 weeks out of every 6 weeks.

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
+1 to @In Response's comments. I'm self-funding and at the moment wearing it all the time as for me, it is not only a learning tool but also a motivation tool. It is expensive, but probably less expensive than poor health outcomes I would have otherwise. Hopefully, once better habits get established and replace less helpful ones, I can move to more intermittent use.

HairySmurf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my own case I'm using Libre 2, and they're expensive for me so I want to use as few as possible. During the 2 week period I experimented with different meals and the effects of exercise at different times around meals, used the information to guide my eating and exercise for the following few months, and intend to use a new Libre 2 whenever something big has changed. I intend for example to use another one when I hit my weight loss target in a few weeks time to see if that has had much effect since the last time, and will use more in future if there are big changes to things like medications.

Reactions: Primear

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @Primear

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you find the Libre helpful. There's a lot of useful information on the forum, so have a read, and if you've got any questions please ask. There's usually someone around to help.

erikame

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps it was just my husband’s phone that was like that, but he only used it for the first two weeks, and the application simply killed the phone’s battery.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps it was just my husband’s phone that was like that, but he only used it for the first two weeks, and the application simply killed the phone’s battery.
I found it wasn't the Libreapp that ate the battery, but having Bluetooth on. I preserved battery life by turning Bluetooth off and on only when needed, which as as T2 is OK for me, not so for T1s

Primear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need the L3 sensor to continuously register BG movement. Leaving Bluetooth ON I am not anticipating a battery problem with my iPhone 14+