Freestyle Libra Question

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This might be a daft question to ask but could you self fund a Libra for a few months just to see what your sugars are doing and any trends especially if you are having trouble controlling your sugars?

I wasn’t sure if you could buy a couple months worth of sensors and then go back to usual finger pricking and put the Libra in a drawer until you are flush again to buy some more sensors?

I can’t afford to buy them on a full time basis, but I’ve got a work bonus due shortly and thought I might buy the starter pack and a couple more sensors, but if it’s not going to be of any use I won’t bother.

Many thanks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Of course you can!
It can be very helpful!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, and if you have a compatible phone, don't bother with the starter pack. You can simply order a couple of sensors and use your phone!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This might be a daft question to ask but could you self fund a Libra for a few months just to see what your sugars are doing and any trends especially if you are having trouble controlling your sugars?

I wasn’t sure if you could buy a couple months worth of sensors and then go back to usual finger pricking and put the Libra in a drawer until you are flush again to buy some more sensors?

I can’t afford to buy them on a full time basis, but I’ve got a work bonus due shortly and thought I might buy the starter pack and a couple more sensors, but if it’s not going to be of any use I won’t bother.

Many thanks

Hi,

Yes you can. With an NFC enabled phone, download the Librelink app & you're good to go.
No need to carry a separate scanner about.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both, I know what my bonus will be going towards then

You may find some phones need a close tap to the sensor to pick up, others more a "Jedi" wave in proximity?
You just need to obtain a sensor. "Libre link" app is free from your app service provider.. ("Play store" or what not.. The app contains no intrusive adds.)

OptimisticT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
extreme heat...
It’ll be a wonderful addition to your kit, trust me! It’s just a bit addictive:) going back to strips may be more difficult than you might think!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just had an email saying the Libre 2 is now available for order!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had an email saying the Libre 2 is now available for order!
Hi,

I'm a T1 self funder. (Yeah I know.) visited the Abbott site a few days ago.. (UK site.) Found nothing on the L2.
Normally purchase from Asda? Cheaper by comparison to others & can get VAT knocked off.
Not in stock either...

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi,

I'm a T1 self funder. (Yeah I know.) visited the Abbott site a few days ago.. (UK site.) Found nothing on the L2.
Normally purchase from Asda? Cheaper by comparison to others & can get VAT knocked off.
Not in stock either...
https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/
Tells you about it.
I have an account so I order from there.