FreeStyle Libre 2 CGM

Ras101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
First off, I'm an ex-pat living in the States for 32 years now. Was diagnosed with Type 2 in 2001 and on insulin since 2010, firstly Lantus and now supplemented with Humalog. Since I test more than 5 times a day and inject at least 4 times a day I get Freestyle Libre 2 as part of my medical plan (yeah I know Americans medical plans) . So here's my problem... I started using the CGM yesterday and immediately had a high of 245 (American values) and used Humalog to reduce that to closer to 115 by 10:00pm when I took a small amount of Lantus before bed. Well this morning my blood sugar was 103, I had 5 cream crackers with no butter or jam and a cup of unsweetened tea with a dash of skimmed milk (yeah, I'm a Brit but still remember British terms) and my blood spiked at 256! why?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well this morning my blood sugar was 103, I had 5 cream crackers with no butter or jam and a cup of unsweetened tea with a dash of skimmed milk (yeah, I'm a Brit but still remember British terms) and my blood spiked at 256! why?
Getting out of bed often makes our blood glucose rise, it's our helpful liver dumping glucose in your bloodstream to start you going for the day.
It's often referred to as 'Foot on the floor' effect.
You also had 5 cream crackers, have you checked how many carbs they have?
firstly Lantus and now supplemented with Humalog.
Are you only using your Humalog to bring your numbers down when they're high, or are you dosing before meals depending on the amount of carbs you're about to eat?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tested your Libre readings with finger pricks?
Some of us find the sensors are less accurate the day they are applied and do not activate them for at least 24 hours to avoid this

Ras101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Some of us find the sensors are less accurate the day they are applied and do not activate them for at least 24 hours to avoid this
Hi, thanks for the responses and questions. First yes I have checked calibration of the sensor after a couple of hours with a finger prick with a known and actuate Bayer Next One meter being within a couple of units of each other.
Had 5 Cream Crackers that total less than 25g of carbs
Just started using Humalog during the day but use Lantus at night too.
I know about the liver effect but if it is this it seems way high to me..especially as I am taking Lantus too.
I guess I expected a more subtle response to so few carbs and I am only querying because I am new to using a CGM

Ras101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Of the other question on Humalog usage.. This is also new to me in the last month (been a long term Lantus user) and try as I might in predicting how many carbs I am going to eat I am currently dosing when my blood sugar goes high.