Freestyle Libre 2 data encryption

Wilsapp

Is anyone else mad at Abbott for encrypting the data on the Freestyle Libre 2?! After going through hoops I got it on the NHS but can't download data to the brilliant Diabetes:M app. I use this for bolus calculations and one of my main reasons for wanting a Libre was because these would be more accurate based on 5 minute data. The encryption means I can't upload my data to Diasend either to share with my healthcare team (I know I can uploaded to LibreView but it makes so much more sense to have all my data in one place).

Abbott told me the encryption was for "confidentiality reasons". It's my data so I should decide what to do with it!

Rant over. If anyone else agrees this is bonkers please message Abbott and, if enough of us do, maybe they'll listen.

Thank you... Willa

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is anyone else mad at Abbott for encrypting the data on the Freestyle Libre 2?! After going through hoops I got it on the NHS but can't download data to the brilliant Diabetes:M app. I use this for bolus calculations and one of my main reasons for wanting a Libre was because these would be more accurate based on 5 minute data. The encryption means I can't upload my data to Diasend either to share with my healthcare team (I know I can uploaded to LibreView but it makes so much more sense to have all my data in one place).

Abbott told me the encryption was for "confidentiality reasons". It's my data so I should decide what to do with it!

Rant over. If anyone else agrees this is bonkers please message Abbott and, if enough of us do, maybe they'll listen.

Thank you... Willa

Hi,

I suppose in general.. It's a system handling all our data. So I suppose on principle this confidentiality assurance is with every Abbott customer in mind? My lot work with "Libreview?"
Though even that's "for my eyes only." It don't seem to get looked at by my team..

I'm sorry you feel frustrated the L2 set up no longer works for you.. Does app you use work with a Bluetooth bridge?
Regarding the L2, updating the firmware on my BT bridge & smart standalone watch was the only way I could get it to chop sense into the algorithm..

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Wilsapp whilst I share your frustration in not being able to share the Libre data with your apps, I will not be asking Abbott to remove their encryption because I value my privacy.
I recommend directing your campaign to Diabetes:M.

Wilsapp

Hi,

I suppose in general.. It's a system handling all our data. So I suppose on principle this confidentiality assurance is with every Abbott customer in mind? My lot work with "Libreview?"
Though even that's "for my eyes only." It don't seem to get looked at by my team..

I'm sorry you feel frustrated the L2 set up no longer works for you.. Does app you use work with a Bluetooth bridge?
Regarding the L2, updating the firmware on my BT bridge & smart standalone watch was the only way I could get it to chop sense into the algorithm..

Hi Jaylee

Thanks for your reply. The app uses NFC. I'm thinking about getting a MiaoMiao which uses Bluetooth but the app still won't be able to decrypt the data. Please can you tell me a bit more about what you did with Bluetooth?

Wilsapp

@Wilsapp whilst I share your frustration in not being able to share the Libre data with your apps, I will not be asking Abbott to remove their encryption because I value my privacy.
I recommend directing your campaign to Diabetes:M.

Hi

I'm afraid there's nothing D:M can do because they can't decrypt the data. I'm not worried about confidentiality because both D:M and my healthcare team can only get access to the data if I set it up.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jaylee

Thanks for your reply. The app uses NFC. I'm thinking about getting a MiaoMiao which uses Bluetooth but the app still won't be able to decrypt the data. Please can you tell me a bit more about what you did with Bluetooth?

I feel you may need to do a little research for the particular application that suits you. :)
Looking at the app you use online. i really don't think what i was about to post would help you..? :(

I have used the Miaomiao2. But at the moment. with my watch? the Bubble mini is not only more reliable. it's a little more comfortable to wear with a smaller footprint.

Wilsapp

I feel you may need to do a little research for the particular application that suits you. :)
Looking at the app you use online. i really don't think what i was about to post would help you..? :(

I have used the Miaomiao2. But at the moment. with my watch? the Bubble mini is not only more reliable. it's a little more comfortable to wear with a smaller footprint.

Are you using a Libre 2 with MiaoMiao 2 and getting the Libre data on your watch? If so, maybe there is a way I can get the Libre data into an app :)

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There's something in the back of my mind that says Diasend uploader (pc/Mac) can upload from reader. Might be wrong, but worth checking.

I totally understand Abbott not permitting other organisations access to their servers. Just another potential vulnerability they don't need.

Wilsapp

There's something in the back of my mind that says Diasend uploader (pc/Mac) can upload from reader. Might be wrong, but worth checking.

I totally understand Abbott not permitting other organisations access to their servers. Just another potential vulnerability they don't need.

Hi Barry

They don't need to give access to their servers to share the data; it can be done by linking the Libre app to the third party app so the data comes from the app, not the server.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know if you were aware of it, but Diasend used to access Abbott servers for just this purpose, but Abbott pulled permission a couple of years ago. This worked well but I can see their reluctance, However as I understand it they could easily write a separate app to access the LibreLink database. I have in the past used ADB to get access to the data, clunky but not difficult, Easy to say this is what should happen but what's the motivation for Abbott and why would Diasend want to wander into an environment over which they have no control?

Not a perfect world is it?

Wilsapp

I don't know if you were aware of it, but Diasend used to access Abbott servers for just this purpose, but Abbott pulled permission a couple of years ago. This worked well but I can see their reluctance, However as I understand it they could easily write a separate app to access the LibreLink database. I have in the past used ADB to get access to the data, clunky but not difficult, Easy to say this is what should happen but what's the motivation for Abbott and why would Diasend want to wander into an environment over which they have no control?

Not a perfect world is it?

Hi Barry

Strangely, you can still upload data to Diasend by linking the Libre Link app to Diasend if you live in Norway or Sweden. I can't see any good reason why this isn't an option in other countries; Abbott's motivation should be to provide diabetics with the best tools to help them manage their condition. Dexcom, Medtrum, GlucoMen and Eversense can all upload to Diasend.

Sorry for the lecture! Just need to get this off my chest because I had such high hopes :(.

Reactions: Civis

Civis

Thank you... Willa
Abbot are more interested in shareholder dividends with patient care secondary.

Civis

Hi Barry

Strangely, you can still upload data to Diasend by linking the Libre Link app to Diasend if you live in Norway or Sweden. I can't see any good reason why this isn't an option in other countries; Abbott's motivation should be to provide diabetics with the best tools to help them manage their condition. Dexcom, Medtrum, GlucoMen and Eversense can all upload to Diasend.

Sorry for the lecture! Just need to get this off my chest because I had such high hopes :(.
Diasend was great for pulling together all my data from different devices. Abbot made a commercial decision to prevent anyone else accessing MY data. Diasend can't read data from a Libre reader, Abbot have lowered their standard of patient care.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Barry

I think I may have known that now you remind me. A weird situation for sure. Must be purely commercial rather than technical.

I must say, my consultant was very disappointed when Diasend's hovering up was stopped. I would have thought a bit of pressure from NHS would have changed their mind, but it appears not:-(

Ah well......

Wilsapp

Diasend was great for pulling together all my data from different devices. Abbot made a commercial decision to prevent anyone else accessing MY data. Diasend can't read data from a Libre reader, Abbot have lowered their standard of patient care.

Here here! Please send them a message; if enough people do, maybe they'll listen. Or am I being naive?!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Here here! Please send them a message; if enough people do, maybe they'll listen. Or am I being naive?!
I've already been back-and-forth with Abbot on this. I have a really slow downlink at home, it's so slow I can't download the LibreLink software. Which means I can't upload my data to any form of internet, my consultant can't see it and historical data doesn't get stored. Do Abbot care? No. Would Abbot provide any other way of obtaining the software? No. What was Abbot's advice? It's a shame you can't access the full capabilities of the LibreLink.

Given a choice, am I ever going to use an Abbot product again? NO

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've already been back-and-forth with Abbot on this. I have a really slow downlink at home, it's so slow I can't download the LibreLink software. Which means I can't upload my data to any form of internet, my consultant can't see it and historical data doesn't get stored. Do Abbot care? No. Would Abbot provide any other way of obtaining the software? No. What was Abbot's advice? It's a shame you can't access the full capabilities of the LibreLink.

No satisfactory 4G? I'm on copper at the moment and just about get by with 5mb and am going to change to a proper 4g router when my contract ends. My daughter didn't have a landline in her house and I persuaded her to go for that solution. Works well.

HTH

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you using a Libre 2 with MiaoMiao 2 and getting the Libre data on your watch? If so, maybe there is a way I can get the Libre data into an app :)

Hi, I don't wish to get yer hopes up too high.
It would probably depend on what your particular app supports & partners up with? (development wise.)

I currently use with the watch a Bubble mini. It acts as an NFC scanner on the Libre2 sending BT to the watch, updating at 5 minute intervals. The watch basically runs a "wearable, potted" version of XDrip.
The actual BT signal generatated by the L2. Works independently with the app on my phone..

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

As @barrym says why not use a phone to download the software. It's not really Abbott's fault you don't have good broadband.