Freestyle Libre 2 error message when glucose changing rapidly.

Autumn1987

Hello. Posting this, partly to confirm my understanding, and also in the probably vain hope that someone involved with Abbot may read it and pass it back to their technical team.

While using the Libre, I have found several times that when blood sugars are changing rapidly (usually due to exercise) the Libre 2 displays an error message “glucose reading unavailable- please try again in 10 minutes”. From research, it seems that the system goes into diagnostic when blood sugars are changing rapidly, hence why no reading is possible?

To me, this is a serious safety flaw. It often happens at a time when the risk of hypo is increased eg due to exercise or other factors. This is precisely the time you would need to have glucose readings functioning properly. Just wondering if anyone else agrees?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Firstly, I don't work for Abbott.

But I do use these sensors.
I have to admit I'm fully hypo awair. My Libre set up is there to head hypos off at the pass? (So to speak.)
It's an advance warning of around 10 minutes backed up by my meter. Which cuts the severity of the low..
Usefull in the work place or doing a gig, where I need to keep my act together as much as poss?

To be fair, the 10 min error message equates to 2 readings needed to chop some sense into the interpretation with the algorithm of what's currently happening.?
So from a personal perspective I don't see it as dangerous or even a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. :)

sgm14

I have noticed this and I don't think this is simply a case that the figures are changing rapidly as it seems happy to report some large changes. Rather I think it is when the figures are erratic and hence unreliable.

Hence I think Abbot are taking the view that they would prefer to tell you nothing rather than give you possibly incorrect results.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I had that a few days ago for no apparent reason.
I was at a coffee stop during a cycle ride.

I've had warnings for both high and low BG where the rate of change was high, so the explanation about rapid change doesn't seem to apply to me.

I suspect that the sensor was not happy with the reading.
Or faulty.
Mine cleared but I lost about an hour of data (I think).
I was wondering if I had a dodgy sensor but it seems to be OK at the moment.