Freestyle Libre 2 New sensor failures.

TheRightStuff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I changed my Frestyle Libre 2 sensor and scanned the new one to start it yet I got the message "Your Sensor is not working. Please remove your Sensor and start a new one".

I left it on for about an hour and still got the same error message. Thinking this must just be a dud sensor I took it off and replaced it with my other new one and yet exactly the same thing happened. They were put on perfectly on the back of the arm (as deemed the only place to put them by Freestyle themselves)

Has this happened to anyone else? I know these things often suck, but 2 complete duds in a row is the worst I have experienced.
Seems a bit suss, but might be a bad batch as the date is the same on both (31-08-2024). Or perhaps this is the start of my body saying no more sensors thanks?

Needless to say I do not have any more sensors to try out as some will know the NHS only give you 2 at a time . . . soooo . . .back to mr finger pricky.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Odd, I seem to have some sensors that come up with a higher proportion of ‘sensor failure’ notifications, including one recently from a very bashed box, but never not working at all. Can they be stored incorrectly at the chemist/ distribution warehouse?

Al_H

I seem to have suddenly come across this problem. 2 of the last 4 sensors I’ve applied have failed-put a new one on and it has worked both times. Seems strange that after 8 years I suddenly fail to fit them correctly-Abbott have replaced them but I suspect this may not continue as they previously would only do 2 in one year!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Abbott have replaced them but I suspect this may not continue as they previously would only do 2 in one year!
Is this your experience or something you have heard/read? Abbott have replaced more than 2 in a year for me without any questions.

TG4567

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the exact same message a couple of weeks ago. Maybe a dodgy batch of sensors, unfortunately I dont have the box still to see if it has the same date on it

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I seem to have suddenly come across this problem. 2 of the last 4 sensors I’ve applied have failed-put a new one on and it has worked both times. Seems strange that after 8 years I suddenly fail to fit them correctly-Abbott have replaced them but I suspect this may not continue as they previously would only do 2 in one year!
We’ll have to say I know 2 in one year is incorrect as I have personally ordered 6 or 7 in as many months , I put it down to a bad batch , ive never had a problem with Abbot replacing dud sensors in fact never been questioned ,

Claire23280

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Statins lol
My sensors stop working so often I think some of the staff at Abbott know my name lol . I’ve had 8 replaced in the last year, just call them and they’ll send new ones and you send the broken ones back, I had to have x 3 replaced over a period of 2 weeks.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Often my sensor issues error messages for the whole night (about 10-12 hours), and then it starts working normally. I'm not sure if there is a correlation, but most often when this happens, the sensor bleeds (apparently I get into a vessel). I just started launching a new sensor when the previous one has half a day to work (because the sensor is too expensive to buy a new one so often :D )

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I changed my Frestyle Libre 2 sensor and scanned the new one to start it yet I got the message "Your Sensor is not working. Please remove your Sensor and start a new one".

I left it on for about an hour and still got the same error message. Thinking this must just be a dud sensor I took it off and replaced it with my other new one and yet exactly the same thing happened. They were put on perfectly on the back of the arm (as deemed the only place to put them by Freestyle themselves)

Has this happened to anyone else? I know these things often suck, but 2 complete duds in a row is the worst I have experienced.
Seems a bit suss, but might be a bad batch as the date is the same on both (31-08-2024). Or perhaps this is the start of my body saying no more sensors thanks?

Needless to say I do not have any more sensors to try out as some will know the NHS only give you 2 at a time . . . soooo . . .back to mr finger pricky.
I had 4 out of 5 fail this year, the one that didn't was the one I had applied for me after having a seizure.

Call Abbott.