Freestyle Libre - 2 Sensors In

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a 31 year old, T1 for 19 years, and I'm onto my second sensor now. I've read so much here about the meter, some of it almost put me off trying it. So I thought it might be useful to show my experience.

The sensor goes on so easily, neither the first or second have even pinched, literally couldn't feel it (I'm of a sporty build).

The first one lasted all 14 days, with no signs of coming off. In fact when it came to taking it off, it still showed no signs of moving! I didn't use anything extra to protect it. I removed it using baby oil on a cotton pad, the skin underneath was absolutely fine.

Having this thing on my arm is a life changer. I'd maybe, no I will go as far as staying it's potentially a life safer for me. I have an OK hba1c, last two have been 6.9 and 7.1. That's about the top end of ok control.

But that's not the full story. My life is generally full of big highs and big lows. Corrections, sugars, massive tidal wave. That isn't the best way to manage diabetes.

The libre gives me an understanding of what is happening on my body. I don't have to take drastic blind action, I can see what has, is and is likely to happen.

It's been pretty accurate too, however the key to using this is not to necessarily take the numbers literally, but to look at the pattern. Is it going up, or down, or is it steady?

Oh, and not to mention my wonderful fingers. I used to test about 15 times a day, and you could tell! After about 17 days using the libre fingers are slowly getting softer (I scan about 50 times a day with the libre).

Here is the chart of my last 7 days. I could never have a accomplished this the only fashioned way. Yes it's expensive. But if you think you can get by paying for it, your life will think you for it.

KYerV8el.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GrantGam

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad you're getting good results with your Libre @leking:)

I don't know if you're aware or not, but if you have an Android smart phone - there is an official app called LibreLink which can scan the sensors in place of the meter. It's very handy if travel light is a priority of yours.

Unfortunately, if you have an iPhone then you're unable to use the app.

Last edited:

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad you're getting good results with your Libre @leking:)

I don't know if you're aware or not, but if you have an Android smart phone - there is an official app called LibreLink which can scan the sensors in place of the meter. It's very handy if travel light is a priority of yours.
Yeah thanks, sadly my Nexus 6P isn't supported. Glimp suggests the nfc sensor in this phone can damage the libre sensors.

I do have a new criteria to add to the things to look for in my next phone now though lol!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah thanks, sadly my Nexus 6P isn't supported. Glimp suggests the nfc sensor in this phone can damage the libre sensors.

I do have a new criteria to add to the things to look for in my next phone now though lol!
Yeah there's been a lot of issues wrt Glimp damaging sensors - whether this has been resolved or not now I don't know. But I wouldn't want to try at £40 odd a sensor!

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I bet it's because people use Glimp when they can't get access to the official app. But they probably can't get access because Abbott restricted their phone. I think it's to do with the different nfc sensor hardware manufacturers use.