Freestyle Libre 2 sensors worse than before? (failure thread).

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
Have these sensors got worse over recent times? Maybe due to poorer manufacturing?

I know that a lot can fail (hence why there are generally no quibbles when you phone for a replacement) BUT my last 5 sensors have all failed before time so it seems a bit too much of a coincidence.

One after 12 days, and the current one I have just had to take off failed after 8 days, I also had one that lasted just 4 days. I doubt very much it is a batch issue as one of them was a replacement sent from Abbot.

To clarify these were all attached to the back of the arm as they are supposed to be and at the time of failure they were all stuck on properly and had not been banged out of place (and the black “needle” was straight and intact).

How many times can one call Abbot and request replacements for sensors that did not last the full 14 days as they are supposed to?

Anyone else having or had issues?

Reactions: DEL169

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
If you're on Android. I recommend using juggluco. Been using it since Dec. Readings every minute. Uploads data to Libreview. None of the problems of Librelink. Updated several times a week. Not had a sensor fail since using. Readings on wear os watch too.

I'm just a user. Nothing to gain if you do or not.

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use juggluco, which feeds the data into xdrip.
Can't remember the last time I had a sensor failure. Sometimes an error if bg data is too erratic, which soon clears.
I believe libre2 to be as good as ever.

Reactions: Ipodlistener

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a phase of half a dozen failing when I first started wearing Libre, but they have been better recently - whether that is my body not rejecting the plastic splinter, better batches or just time of year, who knows, but Abbott seem to take it in their stride.

I find they are recently tending to go low over night 13 and never budge over 4 and have replaced the last 2 early on day 14, as readings were pointless and not worth waiting for the real 'end time', reported the first time.

I love Libre for the trends, but don't think I would trust it if I was on insulin.

Bcgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate mine, it’s so inaccurate! Not buying any more. I have had six, all wonky as heck. I’m always doing a blood draw because I don’t trust it at all. What I thought would bring me peace of mine has done anything but…luckily I am diet controlled (type presently up in the air)not type one so it’s not so critical.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been wearing Libre for over 5 years now and have only ever had 2 actual failures. Knocked a couple off in the early days (now cover) and get the occasional one that is a little out. But nothing I cannot accommodate in my every day judgements. From what I have read on Libre threads I am beginning to think some people are very unfortunate and their bodies just reject them. In the same way that there are some drugs I cannot take without severe reactions.
Perhaps time to try the Dexcom 1

Reactions: Matt2023

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I use the dedicated Freestyle 2 reader (and the one I have currently is only 2 months old).

Though I tried downloading a couple of Apps to try and get a conked out and still attached sensor working again - the Apps registered the sensor (and how many days it had left) but would not scan and produced the same "replace sensor" error message.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like @becca59 I used Libre for many years and found it brilliant with very few failures.
I only changed CGM recently so I now have one that communicates with my pump.

It is very important to understand the limitations of CGMs and not expect the world.

I have tried 5 different ones and found Libre 2 the most suited to me.
Dexcom G6 was far less accurate

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I find they are recently tending to go low over night 13 and never budge over 4 and have replaced the last 2 early on day 14, as readings were pointless and not worth waiting for the real 'end time', reported the first time.
A couple of the ones that failed for me also did that. They went into the red zone and displayed "LO" as the meter reading for a number of hours.

dsonesuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The libre 2 App since November update in my opinion is to blame. Since that update its terrible my galaxy phone, takes forever for reading and to initiate a start of new sensor and alarms don't work as well as they used to before the update. I had to get the scanner device to start the sensor and take readings from that! There are thousands of complaints of users having the same issues and on google store this app rating has dropped down to 2.2 because of bad reviews about this issue. Its totally unusable now and its why i'm moving to dexcom one. It may not be better than Libre 2 (well, before the update that is) but at least hopefully it works! To give me low glucose alarm alerts, especially at night.

golden oldie

I have been on Libre 2 for quite some time, and have been using one of their readers as it is small enough to sit in my pocket and I like to switch off my phone at night. Recently the nurse persuaded me to install the Libre Link as she said the results would go straight to them ( I'd been having some problems with my blood sugars). The first night I had umpteen false alarms ie blood sugar in range in all but two. This has continued day and night to the point where I am switching the sound off, which of course defeats the whole point of having a CGM. I'm also having some difficulty in getting the phone in the right position to read the sensor, so getting lots of errors. Anyone else getting this, or any advice please?

Cluso

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use juggluco, which feeds the data into xdrip.
Can't remember the last time I had a sensor failure. Sometimes an error if bg data is too erratic, which soon clears.
I believe libre2 to be as good as ever.

Can this app be used once a sensor has been initiated by Libre, or should I only try in the next sensor?

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
Can this app be used once a sensor has been initiated by Libre, or should I only try in the next sensor?
Yup!!!! Only use Librelink to start-up. Switch off all permissions and nearby of Librelink app settings. Scan with juggluco after about a minute it'll connect via Bluetooth. You'll only need to scan about 4 times a day. But you'll get readings every minute

Last edited:

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
I have my alarms set like this. Loss of signal works great. If you lay on your sensor at night. Or any disconnection it goes off.
Screenshot_20230409_154246_Juggluco.jpg

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
Fill in details to send data to Libreview. Click on send amounts. Takes you to the next part to fill in. YOU HAVE TO FILL ALL Categories!
Screenshot_20230409_154341_Juggluco.jpg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve got to have been using the Libre for 5 years? Self funding initially then prescribed the L2.

Switched from using xDrip to Diabox when I was prescribed the L2 found it less of a faff & more stable.

Never had a sensor give up before it’s “time.” Neither have I lost one.
I’ve been over 10 meters out of range to my phone. Felt low then heard my “star trek” alarm go off in the other room on the app.

Personally, before giving up on the sensor. I would start an enquiry on any changes/upgrades/new apps installed on the tech used as a reader.?

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
I’ve got to have been using the Libre for 5 years? Self funding initially then prescribed the L2.

Switched from using xDrip to Diabox when I was prescribed the L2 found it less of a faff & more stable.

Never had a sensor give up before it’s “time.” Neither have I lost one.
I’ve been over 10 meters out of range to my phone. Felt low then heard my “star trek” alarm go off in the other room on the app.

Personally, before giving up on the sensor. I would start an enquiry on any changes/upgrades/new apps installed on the tech used as a reader.?
Think I've avoided most of these issues. As I had problems in October. I started using Juggluco. Not had many problems after learning the settings to use. I must be lucky as my Libre2 is 90% correct all the time. Compared to finger sticks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think I've avoided most of these issues. As I had problems in October. I started using Juggluco. Not had many problems after learning the settings to use. I must be lucky as my Libre2 is 90% correct all the time. Compared to finger sticks
I’d say using Diabox its pretty bang on the button. It’s my understanding there is a 20 minute lag with a BG meter.?
So, I normally take a check from 20 minutes back on the graph.? (The whole predictive algorithm thing with the libre.)
I find I get a 10 minute “heads” up on a hypo. I’m pretty hypo aware. The first few times I got an alarm I thought, “baloney.”
Then it hit me.
The only “thing” for me is the long lag coming up from a hypo? But my theory regarding the interstitial layer interpretation after a low is the brain gets priority first. The rest waits in turn.

Reactions: Ipodlistener