Freestyle libre 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone , my hba1c was 73. It’s been going up and up these past few years. I’ve only been on the freestyle libre 2 for 38 days, but I’ve learnt more in these past 38 days about my diabetes than in the 15 year I’ve had it. I can see how foods affect my blood sugar, what elevates, what keeps them elevated and what keeps them stable. The app is saying my estimated hba1c is now 50mmol. I’m more mindful of what I eat, how much I eat etc etc. I think all diabetics should be given these as prevention is much better than cure. I’ve also lost 9 1/2lb in this time too. Best thing the doctor has ever given me ☺️

TheSecretCarbAddict

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
+1. For me, CGM has been lifechanging. And that's without any exaggeration. Yesterday, I attended the first day of the PHCUK.org annual conference, and Dr. Unwin had a presentation on exactly this topic, saying that while NICE guidelines limit access to CGM to a very small group of diabetics all would benefit.

Reactions: EBe66 and Melgar

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I couldn't agree more ! it definitely has been a life changer for me , I can't imagine how I coped all these years without one .

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Those of us who post on fora like this are interested in our diabetes and get value from a CGM.
Sadly, we are the minority. I agree those who would get value from it should have a CGM. But I think it would be a waste of money for many.

TheSecretCarbAddict

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the point here is not just handing out CGMs. It also is about providing guidance and ongoing support around how to use these tools effectively. Dr. Unwin had some impressive stats from his surgery where he has over 140 patients in remission, a third of his population of diabetics. From listening to a few of his interviews, it sounds like he is really interested in providing that and runs group support sessions, etc. I mean, you won't always reach everyone, and some people will choose medicine over lifestyle changes (I was one of these people), but I'm sure this approach can reduce longterm cost of hospitalisations with complications and CGM would be a worthwhile investment with good returns.

Piccyman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here, what a difference using CGM makes. I was on 11 metformin a day and discovered it elevated my glucose readings.

Also brown seedy bread only 14 carbs a slice made my readings go really high (10.5) and stayed there for 4 hours, I have now switched to keto for a while, I managed to lower my averages by .2 over 40 days, so some way to go.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too. In the USA some medical insurance companies are recommending CGMs for all type 2 diabetics, which suggests less costly side-effects and complications with their use

Piccyman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too. In the USA some medical insurance companies are recommending CGMs for all type 2 diabetics, which suggests less costly side-effects and complications with their use
In the UK we might get the same in 10 years, the doctors are a bit **** here.