Freestyle Libre 3 use by/expiration dates

DavidDK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

If anyone is now using Freestyle Libre 3 sensors on a regular basis, after having used Freestyle Libre 1 or 2 sensors in the past, please would you be good enough to confirm if it is true that the "use by" or expiration dates that appear on the Libre 3 sensor packaging are shorter than those on Libre 1/Libre 2 sensor packaging?

If the answer is yes, roughly how much shorter?

Thank you.

Finnlee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

If anyone is now using Freestyle Libre 3 sensors on a regular basis, after having used Freestyle Libre 1 or 2 sensors in the past, please would you be good enough to confirm if it is true that the "use by" or expiration dates that appear on the Libre 3 sensor packaging are shorter than those on Libre 1/Libre 2 sensor packaging?

If the answer is yes, roughly how much shorter?

Thank you.
I'm in Germany (the situation might be different in the UK) and I use Libre 3.

The Libre 3s I received last month all have an expiration date of 28 Feb 2023.

There were two Libre 2s that I received around the same time (replacements for faulty sensors) that both have an expiration date of 31 Oct 2023.

So it does look like the expiration date is sooner on the Libre 3s. At least for now - maybe it will change as the 3s roll out.

Thanks for pointing this out. I hadn't even thought to look at the expiration date of Libre 3 since the date was always so far off with Libre 2.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DavidDK and Antje77

DavidDK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in Germany (the situation might be different in the UK) and I use Libre 3.

The Libre 3s I received last month all have an expiration date of 28 Feb 2023.

There were two Libre 2s that I received around the same time (replacements for faulty sensors) that both have an expiration date of 31 Oct 2023.

So it does look like the expiration date is sooner on the Libre 3s. At least for now - maybe it will change as the 3s roll out.

Thanks for pointing this out. I hadn't even thought to look at the expiration date of Libre 3 since the date was always so far off with Libre 2.
Thank you! Very helpful indeed.

Last edited:

Finnlee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
An update for @DavidDK -

I received my second shipment of Libre 3s last week (13 Jan). This batch's expiration date is 30 November 2023, so 10.5 months in the future.

The first batch (received 4 October 2022) had an expiration date 5 months in the future (28 February 2023). This was when Libre 3s were first being rolled out to all FreeStyle Libre users in Germany. Every Libre 2 user in the country was being upgraded, so the shorter shelf life might have been a temporary situation.

Reactions: DavidDK

DavidDK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
An update for @DavidDK -

I received my second shipment of Libre 3s last week (13 Jan). This batch's expiration date is 30 November 2023, so 10.5 months in the future.

The first batch (received 4 October 2022) had an expiration date 5 months in the future (28 February 2023). This was when Libre 3s were first being rolled out to all FreeStyle Libre users in Germany. Every Libre 2 user in the country was being upgraded, so the shorter shelf life might have been a temporary situation.
Thanks, that is very useful to know.