Freestyle libre a1c

DanielWebster

My freestyle libre is estimating my a1c to be 6.3 had my blood test today hopeing it to be 6.3 has anyone else been close to the estimateon

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use libre and mysugr. Both show a similar calculated value. However my actual hba1c had always shown a consistently higher (for me good) measure.

Never really worried me as IMHO hbaic is now superceded by the much more indicative Time in Target.

Edit: just noticed my "fat fingers on small device" typos :-(

Last edited:
Reactions: KK123

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No my Libre estimates were way too low unfortunately - I'd have been well and truly non-diabetic, instead of a T2 masquerading as pre-diabetic, which is what my actual HbA1cs tell me.

The actual readings from my Libre were consistent with finger prick test patterns but also definitely lower.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My last comparison was Libre predicting 26 and the blood test coming back at 37. So it wasn’t too accurate for me. My Dexcom prediction for my last HbA1c was within 1-2 of the actual result.

Stevec189

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Libre A1c is estimated. It is based on an algorithm based on average blood sugars. Abbott recently did a learning session on Libreview data which covered A1c and as stated above the much more useful Time in Range. Many clinics are now using TIR as a better indicator of control. The key with all this is not to be obsessed by the data but as our Government are fond of saying (but ignoring) use the data to drive your decision making. The great thing about the Libre is the data is available straight away. No more waiting for 3 months (Red blood cells are renewed every 90 days or so - hence no point in having A1c measured on a regular basis). Good luck!

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
My last comparison was Libre predicting 26 and the blood test coming back at 37. So it wasn’t too accurate for me. My Dexcom prediction for my last HbA1c was within 1-2 of the actual result.
My Dexcom G6 prediction before my last HbAC1 was 53, actual test result 50. (CGM active about 85-90% of the time).

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, as said HbA1c is only part of the picture. For info though, my latest libre prediction was only 1mmol lower than by blood HbA1c which came back from the lab.
I've always been quite pleased with libre accuracy if I've done cross checks with finger prick capillary tests. I know however some aren't as lucky with accuracy from reading on here.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, as said HbA1c is only part of the picture. For info though, my latest libre prediction was only 1mmol lower than by blood HbA1c which came back from the lab.
I've always been quite pleased with libre accuracy if I've done cross checks with finger prick capillary tests. I know however some aren't as lucky with accuracy from reading on here.

Yeah, I had to bin Libre because it just read too low all the time, even with calibrating the miaomiao system I had set up. It just wasn’t accurate enough for safe Looping.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For safety, systems like the Libre will tend to report a little low when BG is low and a high high when BG is high. Missing a hypo will cost them a lot more in USA legal charges then saying someone with prediabetes has normal BG.

TypeZero.

Well according to the Libre I always seem to have a HbA1c of 58-60 mmol/mol but that’s far from the truth. I am newly diagnosed so my HbA1c is sky high. Initial HbA1c was 134 mmol/mol upon diagnosis and about a month later I was 84 mmol/mol. The longer you have used Libre the more accurate it will be I think because it will have more data

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well according to the Libre I always seem to have a HbA1c of 58-60 mmol/mol but that’s far from the truth. I am newly diagnosed so my HbA1c is sky high. Initial HbA1c was 134 mmol/mol upon diagnosis and about a month later I was 84 mmol/mol. The longer you have used Libre the more accurate it will be I think because it will have more data
Yes, I was told not to bother with the libre prediction until I'd worn the sensors for 3 months, and of course it depends on how much data is stored too, so the closer to 100% downloaded the more accurate the HbA1c prediction will be. But I hope you're finding it useful and well done on lowering blood glucose levels as it is a lot to learn at first!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

The predicted Hba1c is assuming your BG profile going back 13 weeks is the same as the part of the profile the Libra software knows about.

TypeZero.

Yes, I was told not to bother with the libre prediction until I'd worn the sensors for 3 months, and of course it depends on how much data is stored too, so the closer to 100% downloaded the more accurate the HbA1c prediction will be. But I hope you're finding it useful and well done on lowering blood glucose levels as it is a lot to learn at first!

Yeah I think Libre is mostly good for observing trends like hypos in the night or large spike in morning. I find it least accurate days 1-3 and 10-14 but the days in between are pretty accurate for me although it is less accurate below 4 and above 10.

HbA1c is also becoming an outdated diabetes management indicator because your HbA1c can be lowered if you get frequent hypos which is not ideal. The Libre shows time in range which I think is a better indicator and is a good way to track how you are doing.

Reactions: Beth_hill02