Michael090382

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too many to mention
Hi everyone,

i am new on here but have been T1 for 29 years now. Is it just me who finds that they think they have their diabetes running along really well and something happens to bite you (so to soeak!)

Anyway, I have been looking into the Freestyle Libre but the major concren i have is that i work with children and young adults who have Autism and challenging behaviours in a school. I absolutely love the majority of my job but there are times when behaviours become dangerous and physical restraint can be required, with this in mind, what are peoples thoughts on how robust the patches are etc.. also if they would or could be knocked or pulled off easily?

any help or advice would be massively appreciated.

Michael

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

i am new on here but have been T1 for 29 years now. Is it just me who finds that they think they have their diabetes running along really well and something happens to bite you (so to soeak!)

Anyway, I have been looking into the Freestyle Libre but the major concren i have is that i work with children and young adults who have Autism and challenging behaviours in a school. I absolutely love the majority of my job but there are times when behaviours become dangerous and physical restraint can be required, with this in mind, what are peoples thoughts on how robust the patches are etc.. also if they would or could be knocked or pulled off easily?

any help or advice would be massively appreciated.

Michael
Most of us don't rely on just the Libre adhesive, but add something like a clearview dressing or vet wrap etc to assist adhesion and smooth out the edge of the sensor from getting caught on things. I'd be fairly confident that this would keep your sensor safe. Certainly worth trying.

Reactions: Michael090382
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a tubular elastic sports bandage to cover it and that seems ok for normal use. If I was going to wrestle a bunch of the little people I think I would put sticky plaster to hold the ends of the bandage in place.

Before I did any of that I only had one mishap. I was pulling a T shirt over my head to take it off and the shoulder seam stripped the sensor off my arm very easily. At the end of their life peeling them off is not so easy.

D

Diabeticliberty

I have absolutely no experience of children or young adults with autism. My first thought however would be that the sensor is clearly visible through tee shirts and light clothing. I think that there might be some possible risk of this providing a target for some of the vulnerable young people whom you are working with.