Freestyle Libre and airport security

sklane11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! Just wondering if anyone has had any experience travelling with a freestyle libre on - was it ok through airport security or did you need an extra/specific doctors note for it?! Also did the security scanners mess up the readings at all? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've taken it through Eurostar and Airport Security @sklane11. No issues with either and no need for a doctor's note. The sensor doesn't set off the detector in my experience.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a tiny bit of an issue going through airport security when I went to Prague at Easter, but after they'd swabbed the sensor...they just waved me through no problem.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last time I went through airport security (about 2 months ago) I had the whole body scan and some guy getting up close and personal, nothing to do with the sensor - I'm just dodgy looking! sensor was unaffected and didn't set any alarms off.

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
I went through no problem last year. No alarms triggered and no one paid it any attention on way through. I thought my readings were a bit odd for a couple of hours after landing but of course it could have been that they were (odd)! All settled down after about 24 hours and stayed fixed on all hols including in and out of sea every day a lot.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi! Just wondering if anyone has had any experience travelling with a freestyle libre on - was it ok through airport security or did you need an extra/specific doctors note for it?! Also did the security scanners mess up the readings at all? Thanks!!

Hi - same as the other guys have said. I travelled through Gatwick in March & no problems. Readings all okay too.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been through airport security countless times with the Libre - never had a problem with the old school scanners (it does not set them off) and I've found that the new full body scanners don't even pick it up a lot of the time either. When they do I usually have a quick pat down and that's it .... only one time when did the agent actually recognise something there (I had to go to a room to "reveal" it (it was on my thigh!). They were very apologetic and it was no issue).

sklane11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Amazing thankyou!

JJO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have one, did a lot of reading up because I might be getting one!

Just a note that whilst the airport scanners don't give problems, library ones do! They stop the sensor working! So if you're travelling don't travel to a library!!! (-8

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't have one, did a lot of reading up because I might be getting one!

Just a note that whilst the airport scanners don't give problems, library ones do! They stop the sensor working! So if you're travelling don't travel to a library!!! (-8

I've just finished my degree - which has meant the last 2 weeks have been spent in and out of a library but I haven't had any problems with my sensor!

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work at a university and have been in and out of the library about 4 times this week and my sensor has been fine.

Where did you learn of this library + sensor =:bigtears: story?

Reactions: 2 people

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Josh,

I suppose I'll have to resign myself to the fact that this may happen.

As a certified medical aid I'm surprised Abbott have been allowed to have such a vulnerability in the sensor technology. Hopefully they can iron it out but as the sensor isn't critical to life (should always have a blood testing kit to hand too) maybe not...

Colour me relived that the scanners in my library at work don't seem to upset my Libre, not sure how I'd get on if I couldn't go to the library!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just the same as @1abRat - work for uni and in and out uni libraries all the time, had no issues - perhaps uni libs are different from public ones?!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just posted on that thread asking if the person reporting it contacted Abbott and if she did, what their response was. I'll feed back when/if she does.

Reactions: 3 people

JanDodd32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Can anyone tell me, is it OK to put spare sensors through the X-ray machines in hand-luggage, please? Did you have any problems from the security staff and did they work OK afterwards?

Many thanks.