Freestyle Libre and Exercise

Marion1102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anybody else have a problem with the Libre when doing regular exercise as I exercise most weekdays for between 1 and 3 1/2 hours . So far I have only had one sensor stay on for the 14 day period, despite using Skin Tac. Also when I do weights it hurts and I am very aware of the sensor in my arm, I'm probably on about my 6th sensor and I've only had one that didn't hurt and lasted the week.
Any tips please

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Marion1102. When you clean the insertion site with the alcohol swab, do you allow a good 5-10 minutes before applying the Libre? The instructions do not mention this, but I've found that any left over moisture from the alcohol swab can affect the efficiency of the adhesive on the Libre. It naturally evaporates from your skin, but it may take a wee while - especially if you're cold at the time.

I'm not sure as to why your sensors are causing you pain though... You're obviously inserting them into the rear of your arm (fattiest part) as per the diagram on the enclosed leaflet?

Others on the forum have used this product with good results for insulin pump infusion sets, CGM's and the Libre FGM:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Opsite-Flexifix-Transparent-Film-5cmx1m/dp/B005UREPVS

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Marion1102 , this might seem a personal question, but what is your body fat percentage? As your body fat levels get lower, it's possible to catch muscle with the Libre sensor, and in my experience, that feels like you are describing.

Marion1102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Marion1102. When you clean the insertion site with the alcohol swab, do you allow a good 5-10 minutes before applying the Libre? The instructions do not mention this, but I've found that any left over moisture from the alcohol swab can affect the efficiency of the adhesive on the Libre. It naturally evaporates from your skin, but it may take a wee while - especially if you're cold at the time.

I'm not sure as to why your sensors are causing you pain though... You're obviously inserting them into the rear of your arm (fattiest part) as per the diagram on the enclosed leaflet?

Others on the forum have used this product with good results for insulin pump infusion sets, CGM's and the Libre FGM:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Opsite-Flexifix-Transparent-Film-5cmx1m/dp/B005UREPVS
I always make sure, well at least since the first one fell off, that I allow the alcohol swab to completely dry although possible not for 10 mins.
The sensors are going into the indicated area and only cause me pain when doing quite intense exercise that would hurt anyway but this hurts is a different way and aches after the exercise.

Marion1102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Marion1102 , this might seem a personal question, but what is your body fat percentage? As your body fat levels get lower, it's possible to catch muscle with the Libre sensor, and in my experience, that feels like you are describing.
Not sure of my body fat percentage but I do know its well within the green area for bodyfat percentage and I think your'e right and I'm catching muscle but any ideas on how to stop that happening

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always make sure, well at least since the first one fell off, that I allow the alcohol swab to completely dry although possible not for 10 mins.
The sensors are going into the indicated area and only cause me pain when doing quite intense exercise that would hurt anyway but this hurts is a different way and aches after the exercise.
You might want to consider leaving the site to dry a wee bit longer before the next application of a Libre sensor. It certainly won't hurt to try:)

As for the pain, I'm afraid I can't comment. Although @tim2000s has a good point.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Marion1102 I'm a Libre user and I swim or run daily - not for sustained periods though, and I don't do weights.

I have low body fat and the muscles in my arms are fairly defined (but not massively so), and I can sometimes feel the sensor during certain movements (extra strenuous swimming, or leaning over to pick something up just in day to day life) but it hasn't been a problem for me really.

I found in early summer when it was really warm and I was doing a lot more exercise than I'm doing at the moment it would be much easier to remove my sensor at the end of the 14 days - but at the moment I don't think I'm perspiring enough to have a significant effect on its stickiness!

:)

Antonm5012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do too "feel the presence" of the sensor at times during the exercises, especially bench press or other tricep work-out.
Not painful, more like tickling. Good thing, it does not seem to affect the readings and goes away after a little massaging.

As for adherence - I wrote about in another thread, I use the microporous tape (that looks like paper tape!) that seems to withstand anything! Exercises, intense sweating, swimming.
I have had 2 sensors so far:
first almost fell off the very day I started it (after swimming), but stayed for the whole 14 days after I fixed it with the tape.
with second one I applied the tape straight away.
As a result both stayed firm for the whole 2 weeks.

I wonder though, whether I can use sauna with the sensor applied. Could it be an issue not only for adhesives, but for the sensor itself?

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a spa day recently @Antonm5012 and went into the sauna but not for long - went into the steam room for two quite long (for a steam room) periods, and the jacuzzi a couple of times. Stuck like glue and didn't have any dodgy readings.

I had the confidence to do this because it was near the end of the sensor life so I thought 'why not?', plus because of the massage (oh yes we really went to town!) I had stuck two large waterproof plasters over the top. I didn't mention to the therapist what it was, and she gave the plastered sensor a jolly good massage - all was absolutely fine!

I've been in the steam room at my gym a couple of times this week, just for a few minutes each time, and on both occasions after a swim and before a hot shower.

So far (in 9 months) I have had no problems at all with my sensors. I've only been using the steam room though since last month, but as yet, no issues.

:)