Freestyle libre and skiing.

Esther444

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has used their libre whilst skiing. I did speak to customer services at Abbott and they just said it doesn't deal too well with temperature changes. I know it can go a bit hissy sometimes and don't want to waste a sensor, so am keeping my reader at home in the day and just using it for nighttime, but it would be good to have it with me on the mountain.

Any information would be useful, doesn't need to be skiing necessarily just sub 0 temperatures.

Esther

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has used their libre whilst skiing. I did speak to customer services at Abbott and they just said it doesn't deal too well with temperature changes. I know it can go a bit hissy sometimes and don't want to waste a sensor, so am keeping my reader at home in the day and just using it for nighttime, but it would be good to have it with me on the mountain.

Any information would be useful, doesn't need to be skiing necessarily just sub 0 temperatures.

Esther
You could always try keeping your reader in an inside pocket (in your trousers or top for example). I would imagine that there would be enough body heat underneath your salopettes to keep the reader well above freezing.

Then, when you take it out to scan your sensor, it's only subject to the elements for a brief period of time.

There would be no wasted sensor as it's going to be on your arm collecting data anyway, regardless of whether your reader is on your person or at home.

Esther444

Here what happened then, just in case it any use to anyone.
So that first day - didn't take my libre, left it in the chalet just to be safe.
Got all kitted up, all supplies in various pockets, boots on, skis on - just have a quick check before we go ....3.6 aaahhh!!! Ended up not skiing at all and in the late teens most of the day, #*%€$**^ diabetes!
Anyway I digress, next day as suggested by Grantgam (thank you) I did take my libre in my trouser pocket and under my jacket. I didn't take it out while I was outside, but just checked when we stopped and went inside a building. It is so reassuring to know which way your heading before you attempt to slide down a really steep snowy mountain !!

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

Rich1889

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Esther 444, and sorry to hear about the wasted day! Never good but just pretend it was a white out...

I'm off skiing for the first time since being diagnosed in as couple of weeks. Little apprehensive as everyone says how little insulin I'll need.

Do you have any screenshots of how your blood levels were, just trying to get a gauge as not used the Libre yet.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No experience of skiing with it, but when I run in cold weather I carry the reader in my bra - the thing that gets (temporarily) too cold to function in my experience is the sensor on my bare arm! Not only does the sensor not give me a number when I scan, but when the sensor warms up afterwards and I scan it there is blank space on the graph for the length of time it had been too cold.

Bit annoying, but I've taken to bandaging my upper arm in a spare neck gaiter which I wear doubled up, and that keeps it warm enough to collect data and give me readings.

:)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Esther

I have a little pouch I put the reader in, in small handbags and so on, which closes with a draw string cord. I'd attach the drawstring to a lanyard around my neck and tuck it inside my sweater, between sweater and base layer. It's then be hanging around midriff level, so not in danger of any slips or tumbles.

I have loads of lanyards from employers, exhibitions, conferences and so on. I prefer the ones with the lobster claw clips.

Enjoy!

Esther444

Rich1889 - I use the libre reader rather than the app as have an iPhone so not sure how I can show you my results but will check with my kids when they get back and see if they know how. However my levels are spectacularly unimpressive - possibly as a result of the hypo, or the food here, or my reluctance to waste another day on a hypo..... but you don't need to be apprehensive I'm sure it will be fine. Do you have a pump or mdi?

Grantgam- have a great day tomorrow, where r u going?

Snapsy- I used to love running in the cold weather, but bit scared of being out there on my own so only run in the gym these days. Do you run alone?

Al_H

I've just been skiing with my Freestyle Libre and didn't have any issues with the skiing, I bought a small waterproof bag on a lanyard so I could wear the reader around my neck (inside my ski jacket!) - worked perfectly and was really useful with rapidly varying blood sugar. The only issue I had was the hot tub - I kept my arm and sensor out of the water so I'm guessing it got too cold (it was outside and snowing!) and didn't produce any readings during this period - not a big loss!