Freestyle Libre...any advice?

Treep

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My 20 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes 18 months ago. His Diabetes nurse suggested the Freestyle Libre which I purchased.

We have had continual problems with the sensors - we have gone through about 8 so far.

Firstly they kept falling off within 24 hours so we were advised to buy a specific medical adhesive which we duly did.

Now the sensor stays on but they never last more than 1-2 days before they stop reading. I would have thought that if this had happened once or twice it might have been the sensors but 8 times?? Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Theresa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had no problems so far. I shave the area where I plan to attach it, clean the skin with the alcohol pad and apply it and it sticks like a limpet. That's all I can say since I find it difficult to think that you have been sent 8 faulty sensors.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
8 faulty sensors sounds a bit incredible to me. Is your son following the instructions correctly? Does he get them too wet for too long? Is the reader possibly at fault, rather than the sensors?

I've had 6 so far, they also stick like limpets to my arm, and when the time comes to remove them it is a struggle to get them off. I've never had a faulty one, other than one with erratic and very high readings, which Abbott replaced without a problem.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My 20 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes 18 months ago. His Diabetes nurse suggested the Freestyle Libre which I purchased.

We have had continual problems with the sensors - we have gone through about 8 so far.

Firstly they kept falling off within 24 hours so we were advised to buy a specific medical adhesive which we duly did.

Now the sensor stays on but they never last more than 1-2 days before they stop reading. I would have thought that if this had happened once or twice it might have been the sensors but 8 times?? Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Theresa

Theresa, I've had my fair share of sensors that haven't worked out for me, but I doubt it's 8.

So, you've had 8 faulty sensors; are they one after another, or interspersed with ones that functioned fine? DO they always fail in the same way?

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been through 7 sensors in total. All have had reasonably accurate readings. 1 fell off after 11 days which Abbott replaced without quibble and I knocked another off after 10 days. The others have stuck very well. If I'm in a situation likely to knock a sensor off I now stick some rocktape over the top.