Freestyle Libre - bruising

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, yesterday I applied my second sensor (my nurse did the first one for me), I'm wondering if I was a bit heavy handed as I was nervous! My arm is really quite bruised - dark red / purple under and around the sensor. Don't know if I should be worried! Also the previous sensor seemed pretty accurate but with this one I've had some strange readings - for example 2.4, compared to 7.2 on my finger pricker. Not sure if this could be connected to the bruising... any thoughts most appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Jessie. x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, yesterday I applied my second sensor (my nurse did the first one for me), I'm wondering if I was a bit heavy handed as I was nervous! My arm is really quite bruised - dark red / purple under and around the sensor. Don't know if I should be worried! Also the previous sensor seemed pretty accurate but with this one I've had some strange readings - for example 2.4, compared to 7.2 on my finger pricker. Not sure if this could be connected to the bruising... any thoughts most appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Jessie. x

Jessie, it sounds to me like you may have been super unlucky and managed to catch a little blood vessel when you applied the sensor. I've never had this occur, but the measuring filament doesn't go very deep, so it's unlikely you have done anything too serious.

Sensors can sometimes be a bit "frisky" in the first 24 hours or so of them being applied. Many of us apply the sensor then wait 24-48 hours to activate it, which, for me, helps a bit.

My theory on this is that, for some people, their bodies react a bit more strongly than others' to the mini-trauma of app[lying the sensor, so waiting helps that settle down. This might be the case for you, bearing in mind the bruising. To be clear, that last part is speculation, based on knowing my own body, but nothing further than that.

How widespread is the bruising?

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks AndBreathe! It was a mini trauma but I'll get used to it. It makes sense what you say about the first 24 hours or so being a bit wonky... I will try waiting when I apply the next one.

Regarding the bruising, it's about 2/3 cm around the site.

Thanks for your reply,

Jessie. x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks AndBreathe! It was a mini trauma but I'll get used to it. It makes sense what you say about the first 24 hours or so being a bit wonky... I will try waiting when I apply the next one.

Regarding the bruising, it's about 2/3 cm around the site.

Thanks for your reply,

Jessie. x

Certainly keep an eye on it, and make sure that the bruising isn't getting too much bigger. As the bruise "comes out", it may appear a little bigger for a day or so, but not significantly so. Thereafter you should see the bruise go nicely multicoloured, as the bruise is broken down, naturally, by your body. That said, if it's spooking you, it could be comforting to talk to your nurse for a view.

I hope it resolves itself promptly for you.

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Certainly keep an eye on it, and make sure that the bruising isn't getting too much bigger. As the bruise "comes out", it may appear a little bigger for a day or so, but not significantly so. Thereafter you should see the bruise go nicely multicoloured, as the bruise is broken down, naturally, by your body. That said, if it's spooking you, it could be comforting to talk to your nurse for a view.

I hope it resolves itself promptly for you.
Thank you, the bruising does seem to be calming down and the numbers are a bit less crazy... fingers crossed

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, the bruising does seem to be calming down and the numbers are a bit less crazy... fingers crossed

Thank goodness.

These things are a bit scary the first couple of times, although I have to say I've never had the misfortune to hit a little vessel, as you seem to have done.

Do just keep an eye on it, to reassure yourself.

Silverbabelt1

Have just inserted my first Libre (No nurse, in lockdown)
Watched you tube vids, where very helpful
No probs, readings seem to be fine. Have not done blood test to compare as the Libre takes readings from another source
So, they won’t be the same

Reactions: UK T1

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have just inserted my first Libre (No nurse, in lockdown)
Watched you tube vids, where very helpful
No probs, readings seem to be fine. Have not done blood test to compare as the Libre takes readings from another source
So, they won’t be the same
Hope you get on well with it! I love mine and have found it help eliminate spikes around meals, helping me discover optimum bolus timings for different meals.
This is a little bit of an old thread so the others who have posted might not respond, but if you have questions about the libre I'm sure there are plenty others on here who can help :)