Type 1 Freestyle Libre CGM regional question regarding availablity

kazam401

Hoping I can get some answers regarding the availability of the Freestyle Libre on the NHS throughout the UK.

My health area (Blackpool) seem to be very reluctant/slow to prescribe the Libre system on the NHS.

I have heard of other areas throughout the UK where this is not the case (even areas very close to me)

I'm fighting to get this funded via the NHS as i post this message, but seem to be getting pushed from pillar to post, with one obstacle after another in place to make this as difficult as possible.

Is this the same in other areas of the UK?

Any replies with be gracefully accepted to give me ammunition to enable this situation to be altered.

Thank you.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got mine at first request on nhs
Via hospital consultant
In hillingdon, west London

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All I did was tell her I had self funded for 3 months. Taken 8 readings a day. And my hbac1 had gone down

She agreed to it

Took about 4 weeks to get on to my prescription. Had to chase up her secretary to send letter to gp

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck
Keep pushing for it
Let is know how u get on

kazam401

It seems that some areas in the UK get much more funding for the Libre than others, as well as general funding for any Diabetic care.

I am trying to gather information regarding this to put to the people at NICE and the Minister of State at the Department of Health Edward Argar.

Thank you for the replies

kazam401

I have do have a consultant who has agreed to put me on the Libre program but it seems that is only the start.
The diabetic health care in my area is very poor example being that my consultant asked to see me again in 4 months but my appointment is now in 14 months time.
Do you have a consultant?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could you ring his secretary? Maybe she could get you an earlier appointment.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, I did ask my gp initially
He flat out refused
Said it was too expensive.

Luckily I read around on here got great advice and went to my consultant appointment knowing what I had to say! She did actually try to say no at first. Then I started quoting criteria ( from on here) and she immediately agreed. I was really relieved but do feel sorry for people who go in without reading around. It seems like the default reply is no , unless you really push for it

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I did not have any issues with getting the libre. I was self funding on and off and my consultant noticed I wasn’t doing well with spikes and hypos. So he agreed with a 6 month trial and in December 2019, I got my trial extended for another 2 months. Is there any possibility you can change to another hospital?

Reactions: Mad76