Freestyle Libre for Type 2?

Mungobean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have recently been diagnosed - they say T2, but they haven’t done the testing so they don’t really know that for sure.
My sugars are all over the place and speaking to the regional diabetes nurse today, she said she would talk to my practice nurse about ‘loaning’ me a Freestyle Libre as my ability to control my sugars is limited due to my jejunal feeding. I have read the strict criteria for prescribing the Freestyle and even though I am now on 2 different types of insulin, I don’t meet those criteria, so I was wondering is anyone else had managed to get this kit with T2 - or whether the ‘loan’ is some kind of way to get around the criteria, as they really feel that I might benefit - but in that case, how would I get the sensors?

Thanks

Bean

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have a mobile phone, there is nothing to lend.
There is currently a trial for Freestyle Libre if you go to their website.
This will give you a sensor which will last for 2 weeks.

cynetique

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found well worth paying for it myself as I have found it incredibly useful to better manage my glucose level.

Reactions: Mungobean

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have recently been diagnosed - they say T2, but they haven’t done the testing so they don’t really know that for sure.
My sugars are all over the place and speaking to the regional diabetes nurse today, she said she would talk to my practice nurse about ‘loaning’ me a Freestyle Libre as my ability to control my sugars is limited due to my jejunal feeding. I have read the strict criteria for prescribing the Freestyle and even though I am now on 2 different types of insulin, I don’t meet those criteria, so I was wondering is anyone else had managed to get this kit with T2 - or whether the ‘loan’ is some kind of way to get around the criteria, as they really feel that I might benefit - but in that case, how would I get the sensors?

Thanks

Bean

Hello there Bean, I know of one person with T2 who has the Libre prescribed, due to medication she takes for another, non-diabetes condition, so don't give up.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If you have a mobile phone, there is nothing to lend.
There is currently a trial for Freestyle Libre if you go to their website.
This will give you a sensor which will last for 2 weeks.
It struck me today that my I phone has no ability to utilize test strips for either calibrating or checking the libre sensor readings with the libre strips or checking ketone with the ketone strips for the libre unfortunate so if you need to do those checks you will have to have a separate meter if using the app only.
For the most part T2's have to self fund.
I just purchase the sensors and use my phone.to initiate and read them.