1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Freestyle libre/Miao Miao

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by skeema89, Jul 21, 2019.

1. skeema89

skeema89 · Member

Hi I thought I’d start a thread and ask has anyone got the Miao Miao for the freestyle libre, I’ve ordered mine as it sounds really useful, especially with the high/low alarms. Just a question if anyone knows, I’ve heard that people use the SPIKE app on iOS/iPhone, but it’s no longer available on the App Store so I’ll have to use the TOMATO app, is that any good? Any comments would be appreciated, thanks

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’ve been using it for over a year now and couldn’t imagine life without it! The Tomato app does the job but is very basic.

However, Spike is much, much superior. You get it from www.spike-app.com and need to “sideload” it onto your iPhone using a computer - there are very detailed instructions. Use the “semi-manual” method and follow the steps meticulously.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. CondorX

CondorX Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use the same combo with Spike as @Mel dCP does - it is amazing, Spike is a great app, I am sure especially for T1s, although I am finding it invaluable as a T2. Spike is a bit fiddly to install but very worth it. I invested in an Apple Developer license for £79 a year so I don't have to resign the app every week, but you don't have to. It is so much better than the Libre's native software.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. eventhorizon

eventhorizon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use Libre-MM-xdrip-Garmin watch-android phone. No complaints here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LooperCat

I’ve got a developer account as well - I paid for it as I needed one to build my Loop app, but it’s so useful for Spike too. You can do both without, but I prefer not having to worry about re-signing the app weekly as I rarely use my computer.

• Like Like x 1
  6. skeema89

skeema89 · Member

Thanks for the replies, really good to know the spike app can be used still, sounds like it’s worth paying for the developer account. Can’t wait till it arrives now. Any advice for keeping it on my arm as I use opsite flexfix for the freestyle libre so should I just put it on that too? Thanks

7. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Vote up from me too for MiaoMiao, reliable bit of kit, using it with the android app xDrip+

• Like Like x 1
  8. CondorX

CondorX Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Lots of ways, as for the Libre - lots of people use kinesiology tape, you can buy armbands which fit the combo, or use vetwrap which is non-sticky- personally, I found the best for me so far has been Tegaderm. the 10x12 cm one covers both nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  9. skeema89

skeema89 · Member

I was torn between tegaderm and this opsite flexfix, I went for the opsite, so when I get low on that I shall try tegaderm thanks for the info. Just had a dispatch email from miao Miao so hopefully should only be a few weeks as I’m in the uk

10. LooperCat

I don’t use anything over the top, but I use skin tac wipes before putting the sensor on, and skin tac and the MiaoMiao stickers when I add that to the sensor. I wear the whole assembly on my upper chest, it doesn’t get knocked there.

11. skeema89

skeema89 · Member

Oh really that’s good to know and you get accurate readings on that part of the body yeah? Thanks for the comments

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook