Freestyle libre--Petition

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was at the hospital today seeing the DSN and we got round to talking about CGM, using the Freetsyle Libre

I can see a thread about a petion to get this on NHS but his was from 2015

Is anyone aware where we are with this now. Should we still be lobbying our MP's, is there a standard letter we can send, anything to genrate more interest in this

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly, as has been discussed before, for the vast majority of people CGMs would not make an overwhelming amount of difference, because you have to be able to understand and be willing to act upon the information that they provide you with. It isn't an easy solution that means no more finger pricking, which is what it would probably represent for a lot of people. Besides, at the moment, depending on which CCG you fall under, there are people who are told that they can only have so many test strips per month, or being denied insulins that might work better for them on the grounds of expense. Therefore, whilst I can see your point, and it would be great to have them, I don't think that it would actually achieve anything by putting that extra pressure on the system, particularly as their effective use would require more training/education from hospitals/doctors/nurses that some people already aren't getting.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...ing-for-diabetics-to-be-funded-by-nhs.117085/

This thread here contains some interesting discussion on the matter.

Reactions: Medusa41

McLoui

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Nice x going food shopping tomorrow to stock up the cupboards x I can remember times when used to come to mums and had too much to eat !! x

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
There may already have been a petition for this but I think potentially one that may be more useful is a petition for CGM/FGM ie Dexcom/Libre to be used as a safe alternative to finger pricking before every car journey to ensure that your levels are safe enough for you to drive.

It should certainly be debated and the MP's should be able to influrence the DVLA thinking on this.