FreeStyle Libre problems - skin reactions and inconsistent readings

Have you had any issues/problems with you Libre?

• Yes

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters

Tabsterw8

Been reading avidly about FreeStyle Libre over the last week. There's some great threads here and I even tried to buy it a few days ago but its all sold out. However I've been looking on twitter and a few American blogs and it seems there are quite a few problems people are beginning to experience:

1. Inconsistent readings is one - saw a blog where a guy got a reading of 12 on his Libre but 8.8 on his InsuLinx.
  2. The other one was skin reactions/allergy to the sensors. One chap had a pretty nasty rash.

Has anyone here experienced any issues with their Libre???

I've had numerous issues (I've been using the Libre since the launch). Problems include: skin reactions, sensor falling off, incorrect BG readings, customer service issues etc. The call centre is based off shore and the staff frequently offer me incorrect (and sometimes dangerous advice). For example, I was told to stop exercising if the sensor falls off, I wasn't advised to remove a faulty sensor and use an alternative BG device. They delay swapping out replacements and blame issues on 'user error'
I was so excited about this product and had such high hopes for it. It has really been a disappointment.
From a Type I for 35 years, pump user

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So far, I have been delighted.

I exfoliate my arm before applying the sensor and make sure there is no soap, body lotion or residue (helps it to stick). Removing them after 2 weeks has been surprisingly difficult!

And to my astonishment and delight I have had no skin reaction to the glue - and I am someone who reacts to every kind of sticking plaster known to man. Whether I will build up a sensitivity over the long term remains to be seen.

Accuracy has been excellent 50% of the time and good 50% of the time - well within meter accuracy requirements, with a lot fewer weird and wonderful readings that I get with a prick-test.

Very impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I've just put my second sensor on but it wont work. I had no problems with the first one and this one seems attached correctly but wont send data to the meter. Does anyone have any experience of getting a free replacement?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've just put my second sensor on but it wont work. I had no problems with the first one and this one seems attached correctly but wont send data to the meter. Does anyone have any experience of getting a free replacement?

Ring up the helpline/customer services.
They will probably ask you a series of pretty obvious questions, then offer to replace it, on receipt of the faulty one.

The main Libre thread on here has discussed quite a few returns, and the customer service staff seem to handle it fairly smoothly.

Alex999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ring up the helpline/customer services.
They will probably ask you a series of pretty obvious questions, then offer to replace it, on receipt of the faulty one.

The main Libre thread on here has discussed quite a few returns, and the customer service staff seem to handle it fairly smoothly.
Thank you, I'd initially emailed but no reply, I'll phone today. Other that about a 20min delay between what my blood sugar actually was and what the meter said it was, I found the readings pretty accurate.

wc262

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So, I thought I would update on my experience with using Opsite film as a barrier to stop the reaction of my skin to the Freestyle Libre sensor's dreaded adhesive.

Basically, it didn't work!

It did last the course from a stickiness point of view - just about - and the injuries left on my upper-outer arm's skin are not QUITE as bad as before, but still weeping and red - with a more pronounced psoriasis-like cauliflower-like roughness to the skin. The redness pretty much follows the sensor adhesive patch's dimensions (although not as perfectly well-defined as without the film). Question is: how did it (whatever "it" is!) get through the film? I know it is a breathable film - so, maybe there was some of "it" crossing the film; enough to set my skin off again, anyway.

One thing I WOULD like to know is this: to what ingredient have I been made hyper-allergic to by this sensor? Will I encounter said ingredient again in other walks of life / adhesives in a medical setting. I'd like to know. Abbott customer care would not tell me as "it's proprietary". Although, given it is a medical device, you would think it would have to be pubic knowledge. Maybe I should go to my doctor and get her to ask the question of Abbott...

Anyway, I will try a Compeed patch next - and maybe also the Cavilon spray. Although, I have my doubts about the spray...

Alan

Alan - I have experienced identical problems to you, I likewise even tried an opsite film between the skin and the sensor only to find it made no difference. I have resulted to giving up with it for the time being! Did you have any luck with the compeed or the cavilon? I'd be interested to hear.

Many thanks
Will

Pabl8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using Compeed for around 6 months with very good results, no problems at all and in fact I found that the sensors are much better attached and don't get loose. The problem I have is that I have asked for the replacement of a faulty sensor and I have to send back the faulty sensor.

Have you guys returned a sensor with the compeed still attached to it? Have you had any problems? I don't think it is possible to remove it.

Thanks

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For everyone in this thread who used Compeed, how did it go, do you till use it and what prep do you do? For example, do you warm the Compeed up and fire through, do you use alcohol or not?

Podmonger

Yes, my wife gets contact dermatitis in the shape of the sensor. Tried through Tegaderm, a bit better but not much, presumably because the Tegaderm is porous. Tried with Compeed with a small hole punched centrally to allow needle to pass through. Better, but still a red patch where the sensor touched the Compeed, so obviously some transmission still. Currently trying with a barrier spray on the skin, then Compeed, then the sensor. We'll report back in a week or so. Isobornyl acrylate in the adhesive is reported to be the probable cause. Bummer!

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My libres back in 2016 were good, I was on them on and off though due to the price and I needed a bandage. Only minor problems. I will need bandages and I will not be on and off so much, only if it's out of stock.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
only if it's out of stock.

Is this a problem local to you? In the 2 years that I've been buying the sensors I've never had a problem, just Superdrug who told me that they had a quota, something Boots don't have a problem with. In fact my local Boots tell me that they get their sensors directly from Abbott and they always arrive within 24hrs.